jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)

Make Comment Moderation the Default

1. BlissfulWriter profile image84
    BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago

Every time I write a Hub, I have to go into the comment module and checkmark "Must approve all comments".   I would suggest that Hubpages make this checkmarked and enabled by default. 

I feel that it is important for all authors to moderate comments in order to prevent spam from getting into their hubs -- especially with the new Google algorithm change. Most spam gets onto our pages because spammers are posting comments into hubs which are not being moderated.

2. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

I've been here almost two years and have only ever had one spam comment. I would say that spammy hubs are a much bigger problem than spammy comments. smile

3. lakeerieartists profile image78
    lakeerieartistsposted 5 years ago

Agreed Irohner, but I still plenty of spam comments.

4. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I like the way it is now.

As for SPAM in my comments, I've only had a few in the time that I've been here.

5. 0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 5 years ago

In all of my comings and goings I have been here almost two years and have had one spam comment and it was in my "spam comments" list. (Ive got my preferences set to approve comments before showing.) I know other folks have more problems with spam then that, but I feel like its all set up pretty good the way it is.

6. livewithrichard profile image84
    livewithrichardposted 5 years ago

I get a ton of spam comments and up until this new shift I didn't much mind them.  But now, I'm going back and eliminating all the comments that are made by non hubbers that anchor link their name to a url and I'm making sure that in order to leave a comment the user must be signed in.

1. 0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 5 years ago in reply to this

ugh, I hadn't thought about all that in my previous comment. Sorry about that, maybe the OP does have a good idea.

7. BlissfulWriter profile image84
    BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback.

8. classicalgeek profile image87
    classicalgeekposted 5 years ago

I wish this was the default, too. I have received a few extremely nasty comments on my hubs and did not notice until much later because I was busy creating new content.

9. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I get a fair amount of spam (a couple/few Hubs more than others). This thread has me confused, though, because I've always had it set (through "edit profile", I thought) that I have to approve comments.  That's how things still are for me, so it didn't get "undone".  I just went to double-check "edit profile", though, and now I no longer see the thing where you select "approve comments".  I looked in "comments" and didn't see the box to check "all comments must be approved" there either.   hmm  New Hubs I've written still have the "approve comments" thing.  Am I just forgetting where that was, or did it move?  Anyway, I've always had it set to "approve comments" as the default.  Still do.  I just seem to have forgotten, or lost, where, exactly, I did that setting.

1. shogan profile image87
      shoganposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I thought I had it on default, too, but I'm not sure there is a default anymore, Lisa.  I've been manually checking every comments box.

At the very least, I think there ought to be the option for each user to moderate by default.  Maybe there is, and I just don't know where it is.