jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Trojan virus in ad

1. teresa8go profile image80
    teresa8goposted 5 years ago

Somebody should be more careful about the ads automatically placed on peoples hubs beneath the author's picture. I think accidently clicked one and McAfee stopped a Trojan from entering my computer. I wish I could remember which ad was there. I just left the hub.

1. IzzyM profile image84
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You clicked your own ad?? Wasn't a real virus - that was a warning to you!

teresa8goposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No, it wasn't my ad or my hub! I was moving my cursor to the scroll bar to scroll down the hub I was reading and accidently clicked the ad. McAfee sent me a message telling me that it had stopped a Trojan. And trojans are viruses.

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

There are ads that use activex and java and who-knows-what-else… These sometimes make security software nervous. Then again…, who the heck knows these days…smile

teresa8goposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've only had this happen once before and that must have been 3 or 4 years ago (not at Hubpages) when an ad caught my eye and I clicked on it to check it out. When I notified the person who ran the site I was on he checked it out and let me know pulled the ad off the site, because there was a trojan embedded in the ad.

But you are right my security software could have been nervous. I figure it is better to let the "Hub Powers That  Be" know of a potential problem rather than take the chance of less protected computers becoming infected by ads on hubs. Hubpages doesn't need that problem or that reputation.

3. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I would agree with Para. It could have been a false warning. I don't think HP would allow any links to be infected with viruses. smile