jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (26 posts)

Arkansas Passes Online Sales Tax Bill

1. Michael Willis profile image80
    Michael Willisposted 6 years ago

Guess I can now Kiss Amazon good-bye!!! Might as well take them off the Hubs.

1. earnestshub profile image87
      earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That sucks Michael. I can see it happening elsewhere in the future too. There has been talk like that in Australia as well.

2. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

My condolences to all Arkansas hubbers...

3. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Sorry to hear. hmm

4. Michael Willis profile image80

Thanks guys. It really stinks!

1. bgamall profile image84
      bgamallposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Set up your address in another state, with a relative. Although I don't know about legal and tax issues, so this is not advice!

1. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It is the affiliate's physical presence in the state that causes the nexus trigger, not the location of the business. To misrepresent your location is to be an accomplice to tax fraud.

Michael Willisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Right on Nelle. I will just end up losing Amazon.

2. bgamall profile image84

Nellie, party pooper! smile

1. profile image0

People are desperate and losing their incomes. I don't want to in any way give them false hope that there is such as easy solution - or to have them believe that it's a good solution. I've talked to very credible CPA's and lawyers about this strategy - and it's not a good one on a lot of levels.

5. Michael Willis profile image80

I wish HubPages would offer us an alternative to losing Amazon. maybe an extra Adsense Ad??? Or another affiliate to put in its place since E-Bay is out of the question.

1. bgamall profile image84

shareasale or zazzle or something else maybe?

6. brimancandy profile image80
    brimancandyposted 6 years ago

And, how does Arkansas intend to enforce this sales tax? It seems to me that it would be a huge undertaking, and cost the state more money then they would earn in their attempts to police it.

Internet sales come from everywhere. I don't think it's possible.

1. profile image0

It is not the location of the sales. It is the location of the business. If Amazon has an affiliate in the State of Arkansas, then IT must collect sales tax on each sale that it makes to anyone in Arkansas.

States can require an audit of Amazon to ensure compliance.

7. brimancandy profile image80
    brimancandyposted 6 years ago

Man. our newly elected government is really screwing us. They obviously couldn't do anything to Obama on a federal level, so now all these newly elected officials and state governors are screwing us on a state level, so they can turn around and blame him for it.

But, people aren't as stupid as they think. I see another huge turnaround of our elected officials when their time comes. We already want to dump our new governor in Michigan. The entire republican party here is screwing us big time. We are just a short time away from being just as screwed as Wisconsin. We see who really mattered there, when they locked the public out so they would not be allowed to protest the voting on the union busting bill. They'll be gone for sure.

8. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 6 years ago

Michael look for bricks and mortar stores that already are located in Arkansas, because they already charge sales tax. Become their affiliate and start your own sites. This will affect much more than just Amazon. Many businesses, in addition to Amazon, with affiliates in Arkansas will now kick them out. I'm not really fond of the program, but I bet Wal-Mart will accept you.

As an Affiliate? I did not know that Wal-Mart did this!

And the Brick Stores...well I do live in the Brick Capital right here in Arkansas. Two huge brick plants.

2. profile image0

Yes as an affiliate. And check out K-mart, Sears, Office Max, and a bunch of others! All is not lost!

9. profile image0

They are all with the Google Affiliate Network. You will probably need your own site, to apply.

So you are saying that I cannot apply with Hubpages then!?!?

And is it the same with Linkshare?

10. profile image0

The Google Affiliate Network is the same idea as Linkshare. Just read the TOS to see if you need your own website.

Will do before using the links. Linkshare let me set up an account with Hubpages. I will also e-mail the Hub Team before I add anything to hubs as well to make sure.
      Thanks Nelle

1. profile image0

It's not the network TOS you have to read. It's the TOS with the specific merchant. They are all different. You don't want to get tossed out at this point. Because you have such a limited pool to begin with now.

OK, I see what you are saying. I always read the TOS. Will pay close attention. I noticed Wal-Mart doesn't allow you to use a ""competitor link" on same page with them.

working