Illinois Residents No Longer Amazon Associates

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (37 posts)
  1. bewhuebner profile image78
    bewhuebnerposted 13 years ago

I just got an email from the Amazon Associates program and because of Illinois' new tax laws, Amazon is no longer allowing IL residents to participate in the program. Now that's discouraging to someone who has just recently begun on Hubpages sad

1. Michael Willis profile image68
      Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I expect to soon receive the same e-mail since Arkansas pass an online sales tax bill today.

2. adrienne2 profile image66
      adrienne2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

@bewhuebner this is some bad news..I received the email as well. It is discouraging as well for those who have worked hard to earn thru amazon.

3. CarolineChicago profile image76
      CarolineChicagoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I got mine yesterday. It's very discouraging to me because I write a lot of Hubs that concern book lists, history and other topics compatible with featuring amazon books--and this is my highest selling site. I'm hoping HubPages can work out an agreement with Barnes & Noble, Walmart and other stores that are actively pursuing ex-amazon affiliates.

1. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You don't have to wait for that as it is highly unlikely. Just write your own websites.

2. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

My condolences to Illinois hubbers...

3. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Blame your state representatives. sad

bewhuebnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I already have...lol... I keep telling my family that we need to run away from Illinois and never look back!

4. Peggy W profile image96
    Peggy Wposted 13 years ago

Too bad.  Maybe other states will be following that lead?  Every state is trying to figure out ways to get more income.  I earn much more with Google Adsense than I ever have with Amazon if that is any consolation.

It definitely is and thanks for letting me know!

5. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Well be careful where you do move, because Amazon has left many other States already too. wink

I can't really blame them either. Guess we'll see how many states are affected.

6. FaithDream profile image79
    FaithDreamposted 13 years ago

I didn't know that? They raise our state tax, then remove our Amazon? Is there any honor left in Illinois?

7. I am DB Cooper profile image62
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

This is a tax I don't agree with. There's a loophole built into the law, so all a retailer has to do is eliminate it's physical presence in the state (whether it be stores or online affiliates) and they can avoid paying the tax. The end result is the state gets no tax revenue from the retailer and no income tax revenue from the affiliates.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey DB, don't bet on that loophole. Texas went after the individual affiliate, as a presence in the state. Therefore, Amazon shut down the affiliate for Texas, because the loophole closed up. wink

8. profile image0
    Tilecleaninghubposted 13 years ago

So maybe I am not understanding this.  Texas tries too tax amazon (the biggest online store by far that offers nothing to the texas economy except to take money out of it).  Then Amazon gets mad and takes it out on the affiliates.  And we are supposed to feel bad for amazon.  Guess it is good to be in Washington state where we know we will always be paying a tax on amazon purchases but seems like the affiliate program is safe.

1. CarolineChicago profile image76
      CarolineChicagoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you. I'm not happy with Illinois for passing the law--but I'm equally as disappointed in amazon. Eventually Washington will be the only place left with affiliates. I big part of me hopes that amazon loses more revenue through the loss of its affiliates as it would have had to pay out if it had to implement state sales taxes.

9. TamCor profile image81
    TamCorposted 13 years ago

What is Amazon going to do if all of the 50 states pass this law?

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Tammy, I guess that is a wait and see kind of thing. hmm

2. profile image0

Several states have already defeated it.

10. FaithDream profile image79
    FaithDreamposted 13 years ago

Now we need the HP ad program invitation.

11. GarfieldGates profile image78
    GarfieldGatesposted 13 years ago

At least you might be able to make up for some of it with an invite to HP's new ad program...

12. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

I have been living in Florida so much.. I think it is about time I make the switch.

I would punch Quinn right in the face..(I am from Illinois)

1. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, since he doesn't have a Senate to sell, he's got to raise money somehow. smile

13. Susan52 profile image59
    Susan52posted 13 years ago

Emotions aside, how do I handle my hubpages account if the law does pass in my state?  If I can no longer be an Amazon associate, what happens to my links?

1. Mikeydoes profile image43
      Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is much as I could help you.. They do say something about switching states, which has been on my mind for some time now.

Here is the Email I received.

Hello,
      For well over a decade, the Amazon Associates Program has worked with thousands of Illinois residents. Unfortunately, a new state tax law signed by Governor Quinn compels us to terminate this program for Illinois-based participants. It specifically imposes the collection of taxes from consumers on sales by online retailers - including but not limited to those referred by Illinois-based affiliates like you - even if those retailers have no physical presence in the state.

We had opposed this new tax law because it is unconstitutional and counterproductive. It was supported by national retailing chains, most of which are based outside Illinois, that seek to harm the affiliate advertising programs of their competitors. Similar legislation in other states has led to job and income losses, and little, if any, new tax revenue. We deeply regret that its enactment forces this action.

As a result of the new law, contracts with all Illinois affiliates of the Amazon Associates Program will be terminated and those Illinois residents will no longer receive advertising fees for sales referred to Amazon.com, Endless.com, or SmallParts.com. Please be assured that all qualifying advertising fees earned prior to April 15, 2011 will be processed and paid in full in accordance with the regular payment schedule. Based on your account closure date of April 15, 2011, any final payments will be paid by July 1, 2011.

You are receiving this email because our records indicate that you are a resident of Illinois. If you are not currently a permanent resident of Illinois, or if you are relocating to another state in the near future, you can manage the details of your Associates account here. And if you relocate to another state after April 15, please contact us for reinstatement into the Amazon Associates Program.

To be clear, this development will only impact our ability to continue the Associates Program in Illinois, and will not affect the ability of Illinois residents to purchase online at www.amazon.com from Amazon’s retail business.

We have enjoyed working with you and other Illinois-based participants in the Amazon Associates Program and, if this situation is rectified, would very much welcome the opportunity to re-open our Associates Program to Illinois residents.

Regards,

The Amazon Associates Team

I'm claiming residency in a different state, its all I can do. I've been in Florida for at least 3-4 months already, haha. I hope this doesn't happen to you guys!

I have been having all types of bad news when it comes to this site and the internet!!

2. profile image0

You should take down your Amazon links. If the hubs can't be converted to Adsense only, then delete them. There's no point in sending Amazon traffic without the promise of a commission. If you aren't an ebay affiliate, there's really very little alternatives for you on HP.

Then learn to write for adsense or the new HP affiliate program. There is money to be made from adsense on HubPages.

You should probably learn that, because Amazon isn't the only affiliate program that will refuse to work with you. Probably 90% of them won't touch you if you live in an internet tax state.

1. Susan52 profile image59
        Susan52posted 13 years agoin reply to this

If I were young and single, I'd consider moving a few miles to the next state, but I'm not and it isn't going to happen.  As soon as the law passes here, I'll take down those links and redirect everything to Squidoo where at least I'll be able to earn half of the Amazon commissions using the AZ modules there.  And yes, I'll write here with the other commissions in mind.  Thanks for the input and suggestions!

14. gracenotes profile image88
    gracenotesposted 13 years ago

The Texas physical nexus law has merely been introduced -- in late February.  It hasn't been out of committee yet, and therefore it has not passed.

What happened in Texas is that the state comptroller's office demanded millions of dollars in sales taxes from Amazon, citing the presence of an Amazon warehouse in Irving as creating a physical presence in our state.  Very soon after that, Amazon announced that it will be relocating its warehouse to another state by April, in a move to side-step the collection of sales taxes.  Shortly after that, a state rep introduced the legislation that makes a Texas affiliate a physical nexus in Texas.

If you're in Texas, you can follow the progress.  There is a Google group to which I belong.

15. petulantM profile image85
    petulantMposted 13 years ago

I received the Illinois e-mail too.  Saw the post suggesting that we remove all amazon links from our hubs.  The law goes into effect on 4/15, so I wouldn't remove them until after that date.

16. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

You guys still pay taxes in the US?

17. profile image0
    Rafickposted 13 years ago

I'm in Mauritius so the laws won't affect me. I do hope Amazon will change its mind and protect its affiliates. They are so big. They have the means to pay the taxes.

18. swedal profile image64
    swedalposted 13 years ago

They did the same thing in Colorado over a year ago. Lots of states seem to be passing unconstitutional laws - at least according to Amazon.

19. profile image0
    Tilecleaninghubposted 13 years ago

If your amazon hub is actually making money then it would be crazy to just delete it.  Find someone in another state and have them become an amazon affiliate and make a deal about sharing the revenue.

20. Trekkiemelissa profile image65
    Trekkiemelissaposted 13 years ago

I got the email too.  The way I going to work it is this way.  I going to write about stuff here that does not depend on amazon for sales and write informational hubs and when it comes to writing about products, I figure the best way to do it is use a site that does not require you to have an amazon affilate account, but still make money through amazon.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know the guy that owns this -

http://bootedbyamazon.com/

Worth a try maybe? At least until you can find an alternative?

21. Trekkiemelissa profile image65
    Trekkiemelissaposted 13 years ago

I am not so sure about that.  Like Susan (if it happens to her), I will be using Squidoo to make some money from amazon and write sales lenses there, but also have it where I link back to here on a similar hub with a different focus.  I have been a member of that site for 2 years like I have for this site.  I make some money from Amazon over there as we do not have to supply a amazon affiliate code over there. 

I knew in January that there was a possibility so I pretty much was prepared for this. I already had a semi backup plan.  I had already taken off links to Amazon on my own website and lucky for me I have been also part of googles affiliate network so I had put up some ads on my blog for things that I can put up like Barnes and Nobles.  It does not help for here.  If the ways things keep going, there will not be any affiliates anymore because all states are trying to pass this type of law. 

I did not make a whole lot through amazon, but it added up.  At the end of this month, I will be seeing the most I ever had.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)