jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Duplicate content - devil's advocate question

1. Ritsos profile image66
    Ritsosposted 5 years ago

ok ... so if we copy content from another site on to a hub, it won't get published .. fair enough and I agree. However, if someone copies our content, we get an alert but our hub won't get unpublished as it's not our fault.

So what is to stop us copying our own hubs onto a blog of our own ???

Jus' curious ;-)

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Previously, that was allowed as long as there was at least a week between publishing the hub and putting it on your blog, I think. However I'm not sure how the new rules change this.

1. relache profile image87
        relacheposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think that is one of the unquantified and inaccurate answers I've ever seen given in the four years I've been on this site.

Nothing can stop you from copying Hub content onto a blog of your own.  After all, according to the HubPages TOS, you retain any and all copyrights to your work.

However if you are a person using AdSense, it is recommended that you do not run afoul of their guidelines for  duplicate content.

1. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm fully aware that we retain all rights to our content. However with all the recent changes I'm not sure if that's still accurate - Hubpages may at some time request that we take down content from here if we plan to post it elsewhere.

Once upon a time they allowed duplicate content to be posted here... things are changing.

And I said "I think".

2. sunforged profile image69
          sunforgedposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I would like to see the basis of that original statement also..

BUT - your link is to Google WEBMASTER info and the word ADSENSE does not appear even once.

1. thisisoli profile image72
            thisisoliposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I can confirm Adsense has mentioned that they are on the road to removing sites which completely compose of duplicate content from the Adsense Program, I will dig out the link later. It was in a press release to advertisers talking about ways they will be increasing the value of their publisher portfolio in the future.

Adsense currently will ban any site or publisher who infringes on copyright (Not black and white, a person with only one copyrighted article on their site without permissions probably wont get banned, however sites that syndicate content from sites such as article base may be in real trouble since they constantly have copyrighted content posted on there without permission).

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

According to this official blog post, the hub will not be unpublished where the material was first published on HubPages, then copied.

http://blog.hubpages.com/2011/03/things … your-hubs/

3. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

However, HubPages will still view it as duplicate if it appears on both places.

4. Ritsos profile image66
    Ritsosposted 5 years ago

mmmm I was thinking for adsense purposes .. maybe not a great idea then

5. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

I don't see how it is technically feasible for HubPages to distinguish between material posted elsewhere by the Hubber (self-duplication) or by a third party (licensing or plagiarism). If they were to tighten the rules even further, Hubbers whose material has been "stolen" would end up seeing their hubs unpublished, and the "thieves" would in effect have gained ownership over the contents.

6. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 5 years ago

thats not the point - the comment was harsh in regular form with that particular commenter yet the link failed to be "accurate or quantified"

the thread was never about copyright violations, the OP was asking about duplicating his own content