jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Google "block website"

1. Mark Knowles profile image61
    Mark Knowlesposted 5 years ago

Seems to me - if google are going to start removing sites from the search rankings that a lot of people block,,,,,

We are going to see teams of Indians/Eastern Europeans/Insert stereotype here spending all day browsing and blocking client's competitors. big_smile

Thoughts? Anyone want a job blocking websites?

1. Misha profile image76
      Mishaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'll just hire a few guys to do this for me big_smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image61
        Mark Knowlesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I already have 3 guys arranged. smile

2. humagaia profile image70
    humagaiaposted 5 years ago

Hey Mark, Google is very democratic. This new 'block' function is unrestricted. It is therefore possible to block Google sites from your search results.
    If I were angry with Google over the latest update and the possibility that HubPages might be blocked in it's entirety by large numbers of people, which might cause a further drop in HP views, I would take my frustration out by blocking ALL of Google results from any of my searches.
    If enough disgruntled people do this then Google might find that their own sites are downgraded by any further algorithm change utilising data from this 'blocking' app.
    I have always been annoyed with the number of unrelated Google sites that crop up when a search on 'Google something' is entered. One could conjecture that they are spamming their own results pages.
    Hey, maybe I'm off to do a single 'block' right now.
    Back to your final point, what are the chances that Bing or Yahoo (or the joint company) doing just the same thing? Or even just those searchers that prefer Bing or Yahoo?
    Google has opened up an interesting can of worms.
    Time to vote Google down using my democratic rights, methinks!
    Perhaps our serps positions will rise if a large number of people do it. Wonder if I can start a viral campaign about this? Only joking (perhaps!).

3. 0
    ryankettposted 5 years ago

Matt Cutt's used "block all posts from Matt Cutts" as an example. So, I did lol

4. Kangaroo_Jase profile image80
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 5 years ago

Question for those in the know, the 'blocking' is done by using Google Chrome? Or are there other means with other browsers?

5. humagaia profile image70
    humagaiaposted 5 years ago

Blocking can be done with Chrome 9, Internet Explorer 8 or Firefox 3.5 or higher.
    http://gigaom.com/2011/03/10/google-let … h-results/

6. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

Geez, this is going to be some ride. smile

I understand what Google's intent is here, but what the heck are they thinking? I doubt that the average user will really comprehend that they're not just blocking one page from the SERPs -- they're blocking the whole website, and for all search terms.

1. frogdropping profile image85
      frogdroppingposted 5 years ago in reply to this

And then there's always the likelihood that many folks out there surfing the virtual highways and byways won't fully understand what they're doing.

After a long while of users persistanly going 'yeah, that was crap, let's hide it' (ad infinatum), and then good ol' google steps up and goes 'hmmmmmmm ok, lets shift this lot then, no one likes 'em' (ad nauseum) - we may well end up with Amazon, Ebay, Wikipedia, and, ummmm, that's it.

Job well done. Interwebs empty, all potholes covered, avenues cleared, now all we've got left is a whole lotta empty space smile

Honestly lrohner, I'm forever amazed by how many people I know that don't know how the internet works. They just blindly scoot around, facebooking, shopping, paying bills, watching catch-up tv etc, with no real insight as to how web sites work, what gets them where they are and so on.

It's a funky idea and one that I'm sure is open to abuse. All we have to do is keep blocking eHow. Eventually they'll get canned. Apparently lol

1. sabrebIade profile image84
        sabrebIadeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

"we may well end up with Amazon, Ebay, Wikipedia, and, ummmm, that's it."
        That's pretty much what I'm getting now.

7. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Isn't it so nice to know that people who come online are so ignorant about their own activity that they cannot see the who, what, why, or how, things continue to work.

So many people pull things from so many different places, then tell friends, oh I read online that such and such, or yada, yada, yada.

It's unbelievable. lol