jump to last post 1-16 of 16 discussions (29 posts)

I want to gripe! I also wish to say I greatly appreciate hubpages.

1. salt profile image65
    saltposted 5 years ago

My gripe is the new rules and the email Ive just recieved. I have worked hard to make a mixture of hubs. Some more income based than others. I feel you might be taking away part of my small income from this that actually allows me to continue and improve and do better hubs.

One hub for example that I love is on australian thongs. I dont think the amount of amazon etc is the issue re hubs, as different hubs have different elements. If you take away ones that I like, but that may not be exactly what you want, arent you being over judgemental?

I dont know. I do know some of my hubs could do with a spit and polish, yet I think one of the good things about hubpages has been the ability for people to write a mixture of things.

Ive had hubs flagged before for being overcommercialized, to find hubs very very similar, with more adsense on them being freshly added.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Salt, why on earth would HubPages suggest something that would take away part of your income?  If you lose money, they lose money in the same proportion.

Their suggestions are intended to get you more readers.  You may have less ads for those readers to choose from - but if you don't get the readers in the first place, you're cactus.

Yes it is.  HP have much better information than you, and after a lot of research, they're recommending that fewer ads are better.  They're not asking you to delete the Hub, just reduce the number of products. You can show one product per 50 words.

Check your word count in the Stats section at the top of the Hub, divide by 50 and you know how many products you can show.

You may even find it works better, because you'll only be featuring the best matches instead of a whole range of products.

1. salt profile image65
        saltposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I see your point. I just realized that most of my income comves via google, not amazon, so deleting those capsules wont have a bit impact. I think its just work I didnt want to have to do right now when I wanted to increase hubs.

Yet, I still defend my right to say I wanted more time to improve my work.

And the right to espress my distress.

2. salt profile image65
    saltposted 5 years ago

I'd like to know if Im the only one who feels like this, or if others do too.

3. salt profile image65
    saltposted 5 years ago

March the 25 is less than 2 weeks away. I think we should have 30 days from email to improve and be able to negotiate if we believe the hubs are of value.

1. 0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

actually a great idea.

Sadly we have to accept this site has left, or is gone, referring to the one we knew and loved.

On the other hand it is a business and given it is such a creative capable format, with a vast range of writers, HP would be crazy not to sell out.

I suspect it will take about 3 months to cleanse the unwanted glitches.  Sadly, those glitches are talented people and an ever growing strength of a community.

So while I understand, I am glad now I have kept my writers community website on hold.  And trust me when I say I hate feeling that way hmm:

4. Karanda profile image84
    Karandaposted 5 years ago

Your Hub on thongs is pretty good so I can only guess that you have too many amazon capsule for the word count. Write a bit more and you should be able to keep the Hub published.

5. salt profile image65
    saltposted 5 years ago

I can understand what you say, yet I also know that there is room for both and if they reduce our ability to make an income, which has been difficult building, that is unfair and maybe a bit greedy? Or is it to do with the changes to the advertising rules?

I just think that we deserve some time to work things through. Ive just got to the point where I wanted to work on traffic building and well in an odd way, this might help. If I tidy up some of my hubs, then maybe it will translate into more traffic. I just need a good time frame to do it in.

1. 0
      Baileybearposted 5 years ago in reply to this

someone else said they actually got more sales when they culled their Amazon.  I haven't sold one thing on Amazon & I haven't had 'too many ads"

2. Uninvited Writer profile image81
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Many money makers who have reduced their Amazon ads say that they are getting more views and earning more...not less.

6. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Hey Salt, no offense. We all have to make changes, some more than others. I get the fact that you want to gripe, but realistically, you don't really have that many hubs compared to many others.

Example: Habee has 755 hubs and Ryankett has over 700. Not to mention, those hubbers who have double your amount of hubs.

Just do the best you can. Most of the changes are only minor. smile

1. salt profile image65

Casgil, I appreciate your comments normally, yet people who say realistically, are usually the ones not to listen too and are bullying, people who cannot see outside the square. So my realistic perception may well be different than yours.

I understand some changes are necessary and some are very welcome. I just have the right to my own perception of reality and maybe if it was in my reality and being realistic, it might be different. Some of the amazon capsules for say an akubra hat have a brilliant photo that I would not wish to try and do better than. So sometimes my perception of reality is different, not worse and not the worst.

I do though understand, although I didnt think of how it might effect those with many hubs. I wish all well. I just suppose the timing is a bit awkward for me right now. And a bit of extra time wouldnt hurt.

1. Cagsil profile image83
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well, in the immortal words of Jim Carrey, Pet Detective- "Alrighty Then!"

Good luck. hmm

1. salt profile image65

Casgil, you amaze me! smile thankyou.

7. Mutiny92 profile image88
    Mutiny92posted 5 years ago

You lost me at Australian Thong!

It has been a lot of work to make the changes!

1. Mutiny92 profile image88
      Mutiny92posted 5 years ago in reply to this

heeeeeyyy ---- That wasn't the kind of thong I was thinking about!  sheesh!

8. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 5 years ago

I have hacked products off of 1,500+ hubs and deleted hundreds of others. And still have more to do. It's the price of working on a shared site. My income has declined significantly on the modified hubs. But these are things I have no control over. Hopefuly I'll figure out a better way to monetize them and things will pick back up.

1. girly_girl09 profile image78
      girly_girl09posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Nelle - it sounds like you have been busy. Hope all has been well with you otherwise, it has been a while! I thought of you when I learned of all the new changes.

I'm insanely busy, but will have to find the time to edit the list of hubs that the HP staff was kind enough to email me that need changing.

9. Maddie Ruud profile image81
    Maddie Ruudposted 5 years ago

Many HubPages staff members have also had to revise Hubs.  I went through all 200+ of mine removing link capsules that I had at the top.  I still have a few to tweak as far as product capsules.  I've also moderated at least a dozen old Hubs by CEO Paul Edmondson this week.  We're all making sacrifices.

We do know we're asking a lot of all of you, but we're making these changes in the interest of the site as a whole.  Trust me, we are doing a ton on the back end here that you don't see, and we appreciate all of you doing your part to make HubPages a better place.

PS> That's not to say you can't gripe.  I'd like to gripe too... but I'll restrain myself for everyone's sake. wink

1. salt profile image65

smile thankyou. I appreciate. I didnt say I wouldnt do it, I just wanted to say how I felt. I had a bad week last week with computers down etc, so everytime I sit down to do some work, it seems something else happens.... and this was just another of those. Hopefully we can pick up income later!!!

10. 0

Maddie please gripe away. Why should we have all the fun! Despite it all, I'm sure that most of us are hanging in there. I do expect to bring my hubs under compliance soon.

11. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

I cleaned my own up last weekend, before the notice even came out.  With only a few less hubs than you have it took me about 4 hours.

HP staff has found a good correlation between excessive numbers of Amazon products and lack of traffic after Panda.  They appear to believe that it is a part of what has hit HP so hard from that change.  They suggest that unneeded news capsules and mostly irrelevant RSS feeds be removed as well.  They have also declared that any and all duplicate content be removed, even if it is your own - many have had to delete whole hubs as a result.

Considering such cases as Nelle Hoxie (post above) and that you can clean up your own hubs in probably 1/2 hour per day for the next few days, do you still think your different perception of reality should allow you to continue to hurt the community?  C'mon man, put a lousy few hours in and do your part as well!

12. 0

Just a point of clarification - I had NO DUPLICATE CONTENT. I deleted hubs off of Nelle because I want to go in a different direction. And some of the others because there's just not enough time on the planet.

I have arthritis in my wrists - and I have to ice them down every so often. And take some time away to let them recover - Or I would be done.

As you say we have to do our part. These HP guys are smart cookies and it's their income as well. So I'm doing my first cut at compliance to get off excessive products. Then I'm going to go back and see if I can get a new groove going with an optimal layout etc. It'll be a while until all calms down and sales perk up I think. So patiences and optimism is going to be a key ingredient for the foreseable future.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Nelle, I agree with the smart cookies thing.  HP has far more data than I ever will and far more experience and knowledge about the subject than I.  I'll take their advice every time (at least if I can understand it).

I'm still a little foggy on the RSS feeds thing - I've left all my feeds that use tags to similar topics - I got an answer to a question that seemed to indicate that was probably OK and I think they help.

I also certainly didn't mean to imply you had duplicate content, Nelle - that never crossed my mind.  Just that you had SO much work and just jumped in and have worked on it.  I certainly apologize if I gave that impression and would thank you for your efforts to improve HP.  You may well have more work than anyone else as you have such a massive number of hubs and have specialized in sales type hubs with Amazon capsules on profusion.

13. kimh039 profile image89
    kimh039posted 5 years ago

I had no problem deleting amazon capsules, because I haven't made any money from all those amazon capsules, anyway:(

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
      Barbara Kayposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Me either. I was starting to delete them beforehand because I got over 200 clicks on them last month and never made a penny. I figure they are just taking away from Adsense clicks.

14. 0

No worries wilderness. I just wanted to clarify about the duplicate content, in case anyone ELSE put things together wrong. Would you beleive I have NO Amazon hubs left. I actually only wrote them under Nelle. Everything else is Ebay or Adsense.

15. Joy56 profile image60
    Joy56posted 5 years ago

Hubpages is a great place, in this world of money making madness, it could not last forever the way it was..........  it's a wonderful community, kinda waiting for my email now.......

16. salt profile image65
    saltposted 5 years ago

and thanks all for your input.