jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

What, exactly, are you people intending?

1. weholdthesetruths profile image59
    weholdthesetruthsposted 5 years ago

I admit I don't read these forums much, because I don't publish hubs to make money.  At least my piddly 20 bucks or so over six months isn't enough to matter.   

However, I was reading this thread:  http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/70203

And it appears to be a very common thread that poets and bloggers and other such casual writers are definitely going to feel unwelcome, as many people want to transform the site into just one that is focused on matching Google's optimium profile in terms of getting hits and traffic, ergo, making money. 

Certainly, that's a rational reaction, if that's what you're doing here.  But somewhere along the way, if that's what you want, and that's the purpose of HP, then by all means, it should be said up front when you join.   

I've apparently wasted many hours writing my piddly 95+ hubs, because now, the rest of you want to kick people like me out, because I don't "optimize" for your purposes. 

Certainly, that's your choice.  I even understand why you'd want to.  You're in it for the money, and the nonsense hubbers and the content-less hubs hurt everyone, and apparently political and other writing seems to as well.   

So, if that's what you want...  Then could someone please write a tool into HP, to allow us to turn our pages into a downloadable .html page and connected graphics, etc, so we can take it elsewhere without having to manually re-create it all again? 

Seriously, if I had known this is what was wanted for HP, I'd never have come here.  And I'm rather put out that I've invested a bunch of my spare time over six months, just to find out I wasn't informed about what was wanted here and I've wasted this time and effort.

1. 0
      ryankettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't really understand why you think that your hubs contravene the Terms of Service changes in any way, they don't appear to have Amazon capsules for a start. What exactly is it that you are worried about?

1. Cagsil profile image84
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I was about to ask the same question. lol

2. weholdthesetruths profile image59
        weholdthesetruthsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Just read through the linked forum posting above.  I think you were even in it. 

My content is definitely not wanted by these guys.   They even specifically come out and say, they want to get rid of political content.    That's the only traffic I get.   

I didn't say I had any reason to think I'm violating HP's terms of service, but obviously the income seekers are going to lobby to remove stuff like mine eventually.    I put stuff here in the first place, because I intended it to be here for a long time.    That's why I'm asking, let's get some clarity...  if there's any chance I have to move stuff,  I don't want to waste another minute writing hubs.   I'll have lost all the links and google standing they have now if I do,  which means starting over from scratch again.

1. 0
          ryankettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think that you are being a little over-sensitive, you only need to worry about Hubpages rules. You seem to have taken the comments of one or two hubbers, out of 100000 registered members, and taken them seriously. Those hubbers don't set the rules.

And so far the only hubs to be effected by these changes are sales hubs. You don't possess any sales hubs.

So, tell me again why you should be worried? I should be worried, I have stacks of hubs to change in the next week. The "income seekers" are the ones being expected to change right now.

You just have to sit back with a cup of tea and a biscuit and await the recovery.

Chill out, worse things happen at sea.

ps. You only need to save your hubs as an offline page, should take you no longer than half an hour. You do realise that unpublished hubs, if that ever happened, remain in your account for you to copy and paste anyway?

2. Amanda Severn profile image89
          Amanda Severnposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you're happy here, then stay. My hubs are a hotchpotch of poetry, politics, and art. None of them make me too much money, but I'm not quitting HubPages unless I'm specifically asked to. If we are told to make changes, then fair enough. Make the changes, but don't jump unless the HubPages owners make it clear that's whats required. The rest of us have ideas and opinions, but we're not actually in charge!

2. 0
      Baileybearposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't see anyone penalising those that don't write many hubs.  They're just asking for over 300 words, decent content and not all about the ads.  Where did they say they would kick us out if we don't make money?  I have good content, but I don't money - only about $40 in 9 months for 40ish hubs

2. ThomasE profile image82
    ThomasEposted 5 years ago

See what I posted in the thread: "everything you read on the forum is just speculation. Hubpages itself has the last word."

So far, the only people who have been affected by changes are people with sales hubs, or who put RSS or news in the first capsule (which is a horrible layout anyway).

That's it.

Look, y'all are overreacting. Someone asked how they should treat poetry. The CEO of hubpages responds that it should be treated like everything else... no spammy links, no duplicate content etc and that flagging it for being bad quality was counterproductive.