Article for Panda Watchers

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Spacey Gracey profile image39
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Anyone still glued to their screen searching for Panda progres may be interested in this article based on an interview with Matt Cutts.

Please no posts saying 'stop worrying', 'I am so bored of this', 'blah blah blah'.

I'm of to write some more stuff for my website and ponder my social marketing future over a cup of tea and a scone - cheerio, and toodle-loo.

1. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I noticed in the article that it was mentioned how sites such as Library of Congress, Media sites and Newspaper sites greatly benefited from the Google change.
      Of course Media and Newspapers invest a lot of money for their online publication and are not happy for any competition.

My issue with Media and Newspapers is they ALL duplicate the same story word for word and use auto-generated news.  This is what Google says it is against and then turn around and "rewards" those that pay to do exactly that!!! How hypocritical.

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Does anyone else see a glimmer of hope here?

"There is definitely still room for improvement in the space of low-quality content -- or in trying to reward higher-quality content." - Matt Cutts.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, but I can't see the stuff that this guy Cutts says as anything other than spin/PR.

After all, he's hardly going to tell the truth is he?  Which would be something along the lines of "OK, so we've weeded out some of the spam, but we haven't replaced it with anything better and for a lot of people searching, it's actually worse."

1. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is true! Before, if I ever see or hear of a new virus I'd Google it, and there would be several mentions on the front page, especially for a new attack.
          Now you have to look several pages in to find something recent. The front page might mention it, but it'd be years out of date and with technology moving at the rate it does, old news on viruses is no use.

1. Michael Willis profile image67
            Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Old and out-dated news/articles are the worst I am finding now on page 1 or even page 2 in Google simply because it is media, newspaper or such pages. It is a waste of user time.
            I had begun to use Google more, but have gone back to Yahoo for  web searches. Still have to weed through junk, but less duplicated and totally unrelated work by the "authoritative sites."

2. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Are they cherry scones, Spacey? If so I'm on my way! Does anyone know if HubPages is one of the sites that Blekko has totally blocked?

3. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Not today I'm afraid. Sainsbury's Cherry Scones are my absolute favourites (I am a 72 year old woman trapped in a 29 year old's body).

I think very possibly Blekko have blocked HubPages - if you search 'any keyword site:hubpages' the results say no results on Blekko - then give some results from Bing.

If you just search HubPages it brings up HP home as the top result then no other entry.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I managed to get a hub of mine to appear in Blekko's SERPS (or rather, in the Bing "additional results" section) - but only by entering its most popular search term in quote marks (and this is a hub that gets 100-200 views a day).  No quote marks, no hub. 

Reading the article in your original post reminds me very strongly of the changes that eBay announced a couple of years back.  In their email to sellers, these changes were touted as a big improvement.  However, when you read the terms more carefully, they were only an "improvement" for people selling multiple, cheap items, because you could list any number of identical items for just one listing fee.  For anyone selling one-off/unique items, the "improvements" were anything but.

It's the same with the Google algorithm change - the search "improvements" ARE improvements if your name happens to be [insert any large retailer here].  But they're not improvements for anyone else, including the poor general public trying to search for something relevant!

2. CMHypno profile image82
      CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How very rude of Blekko and totally uncalled for! smile

Have you tried the M&S cherry scones that are sold loose in the bakery section? They are my absolute favourites!

4. skyfire profile image81
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Blekko is a slash tag based search engine that operates based on user contribution. ahem.. hint ?

Stop Worrying tongue

Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have no idea what that means but I'm not worried. I'm pretty sure they weren;t contributing to my traffic and are not reponsible for the 60% decline I have experienced.

2. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Lol - sorry only just got the 'stop worrying' bit - I'm a bit slow today, I think it is because I am a day older than I was yesterday.

5. Spacey Gracey profile image39

I have just been researching an article and the number 2 result on Google was: "Amazon.com: Hello Kitty - Squinkies: Toys & Games
    Amazon.com: Hello Kitty - Squinkies: Toys & Games.
    www.amazon.com/s?...Squinkies...n%3A165 … t..." - it is a search query results page with no relevant result on it!!!! It wasn't even a buy focussed query. 'Hello Kitty Squinkies' could be from anyone trying to find out if such a thing exists, when they will be released, what they look like etc etc - I know the search traffic for the term will be tiny but it doesnt seem write that Amazon search query pages with no relevant result should out rank genuinely useful articles, which I know exist because I have now found them.

Grrrr.

Rant over, and relax.

6. skyfire profile image81
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Average joe is not using blekko because of it's complex nature. Current users of blekko are part of tech savvy crowd, so you can ignore them. smile

Thanks. I'm not called Spacey for nothing - so be careful with your techno-babble, I am very easily confused big_smile

7. Bill Manning profile image70
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I've never even heard of blekko. smile

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

Did you all see the recent HP blog? http://blog.hubpages.com/

A Google Adsense employee is the guest blogger. It sounds promising to me.

9. Spacey Gracey profile image39

I am also finding so many popular, high ranking sites just cut and pasting a press release and literally adding nothing to it. Smaller sites, that do have something useful to add, but have affiliate links are not appearing until 2nd or 3rd page.

Hope this improves soon as it is driving me nuts.

10. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

A separate issue. With all the ads that are now missing from our hubs, it is getting darn hard to get a click. I hope they hurry up fixing that. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)