jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

News/Comments Articles - Good or Bad from an Earnings Perspective

1. Ritsos profile image66
    Ritsosposted 5 years ago

I'm always looking to expand the topics I write as a lot of my interests are fairly minority and so don't expect a lot of page impressions, but I also like to write 'news/political comment' articles and wondered how these tended to do from an earnings perspective. On the one hand, they mainly by nature become old news quick, yet at the same time are 'hot' topics for a short time.

Any thoughts?

1. Maddie Ruud profile image83
      Maddie Ruudposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Stick with evergreen topics.  They'll continue to earn for a long time to come.  I still make money on Hubs I wrote almost 4 years ago.

2. Rik Ravado profile image93
    Rik Ravadoposted 5 years ago

I've never had much success with topical, news related hubs because it takes a while for a hub earnings to build.  Seasonal hubs are better.  I write about wood stoves, for example and these obviously do better in winter but in the summer I get traffic to these hubs from the Southern hemisphere.

3. 0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 5 years ago

According to Robin (the CEOs wife), they don't do very well at all. My personal opinion is that anything that is opinion, unless one is well established, doesn't do that well.

4. Ritsos profile image66
    Ritsosposted 5 years ago

Thanks both .... That's a shame but perhaps not unsuprising. Having said that, I decided to do one anyway partly out of curiosity and partly because I wanted to write about it so I'll see what happens.

5. kschang profile image93
    kschangposted 5 years ago

They do rather horrible, unless it's a VERY long-tailed topic, like immigration reform / Arizona SB1070. When the news gets an update there's an upsurge in traffic, but never enough.

I'd say leave the commentary to Huffington Post. big_smile  Or your personal blog.