jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

A 2nd part to my first Hub on writing

1. @mused profile image60
    @musedposted 5 years ago

I've finally stumbled on free time now that I'm on spring break, lol.  I was afraid I might not ever come back to HubPages, what with all of my exams from last week!  If you get a chance and are interested, please check out my latest hub.  Constructive criticism, as always, is very welcome!

2. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

I want some of what you're smoking. smile

Seriously, I didn't get it. At all. But that's just me. It's really well-written, though.

The first paragraph really threw me off. You pretty much spent the whole paragraph telling people that, despite the fact that you're not a professional writer, they should not only read what you've written here, but also go back and read prior work. I mean, the way you set it up, why should I listen to you (hypothetically speaking...)?

3. To Start Again profile image84
    To Start Againposted 5 years ago

Gotta agree with Irohner...

Very well written. But, I would change that intro. It doesn't add anything to the overall piece but extra text. I like the idea of a short intro to your piece but I would say something about how reading (since that's the basis of the entire piece) relates to building writing skills.

Also, I would break up that text. Add some subheadings, maybe a picture or two. And if you want readers to find your first part, link to it within your hub.

1. @mused profile image60
      @musedposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ahh... still learning this hubpages thing... for some reason, I didn't think of linking my first hub into this hub.  Thanks big_smile

4. @mused profile image60
    @musedposted 5 years ago

Lol, I understand what you guys are saying...  What I was trying to do was make this hub a 2nd part, stemming off of my first hub, but I didn't want to keep the same title as the first hub and just call it "Part 2."  So, I thought if I briefly mentioned my 1st hub in the intro, I could accomplish that... but then, I didn't want people to think they HAD to read my 1st hub in order to "get" my 2nd hub, if you know what I mean. 

I guess I'm just all-around being a bit confusing =/

5. @mused profile image60
    @musedposted 5 years ago

I decided to completely remove the mentioning of my 1st hub in this hub.  I think they each should stand on their own.  I broke up the article with subheadings, but I'm not sure I want pictures in this one.  Call me weird, but I'm not a huge fan of pictures in a lot of articles.  I know a lot of people appreciate them because they break up the monotony of text, but sometimes, I just like to write (and read) things without pictures. 

I do think taking out my intro focused my article better.  I appreciate your insight on the beginning smile.

Thank you for your feedback!