Making HubPages a Better Place to Browse

1. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 5 years ago

When I'm bored and don't feel like writing, I LOVE to browse around HubPages to check out other hubs.

One problem, though. Often I come into categories where the "best" hubs are just not the greatest content... like hubscores in the 60s and 70s.

This isn't the case in some of the more popular categories like business, where EVERYONE is writing a hub. However, just because a category has a lot of hubs doesn't mean that the "best" ones are high quality. There have been many times where I've come upon categories chock full of hubs and the best ones are still in the 70s.

What I propose:
    It would be cool for HubPages to kind of make it so that those hubs in the best are higher rated. I'm NOT saying to push up the score of some of those hubs but I was thinking something more along the lines of maybe a script that combs each category of hubpages and finds categories that need better hubs and kind of making that category a "most wanted" category.

I wouldn't mind creating hubs for these categories to kind of make the "best" hubs sparkle a bit more. Not that my hubs sparkle or anything... I've just seen a lot of "junk" at the top of categories just because the "junk" is really the best that a certain category has to offer.

But yeah, would be great for HubPages to offer a most-wanted list. I COULD look here for those categories that need more hubs: But there are seriously categories that are chock full of, well, junk.

Just a thought.

2. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure I'm completely getting what it is you're calling "junk" or what you, personally, are looking for in terms of "best" - but a Hub can be 99 because it has lots and lots of traffic and comments, but it may not particularly be either a great Hub, great piece of writing, or great anything else.  (I've got those myself.)

On the other hand, a Hub can have a score in the 60's because it isn't one of those "hot" Hubs, but the writing can actually be far better in that one than, say, one of the 99-ers I mentioned.  Hubs in the 70's can be popular, well written, Hubs that don't happen to be pulling in tons of traffic and comments.  In other words, if it's "sparkling" some people are looking for, that can sometimes be found in those 60's and 70's Hubs (provided someone's idea of "sparkling" is not all about traffic and/or comments.  On the other hand, a particularly popular subject will turn up a Hub with a 100 score that can be garbage (except that it gets traffic and/or comments).  (I had one of those "99/100 sparklers" for a while, and - really - it wasn't a "great Hub".)