jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (17 posts)

Increase in Broken Links recently

1. K9keystrokes profile image93
    K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago

Anyone else seeing an increase in the broken links in your already published hubs?

1. Appletreedeals profile image73
      Appletreedealsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

yes, I had a ton of broken Amazon links to fix. Curious that they were all Amazon

GA

K9keystrokesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My experience wasn't so much with the Amazon links as with internal links to other hubs. Just wondering if hubs are being altered in a way to cause the break?

1. profile image0
          ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

A broken link means that the page URL has either changed or the page that you linked to has been deleted, nothing to do with Hubpages themselves.

I believe that Hubpages only run that checker once and a while, like the duplicate filter, so they probably emerge all around the same time. I suspect this because I have been deleting hubs which are interlinked, and as such expect to see lots of broken links appear next time they run the software.

Either that, or the software is just really slow.

1. lrohner profile image84
            lrohnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I also frequently means that the server hosting the page you've linked to was down at the time HP ran its checker, hence the "retest" option on the Broken Links page.

In my entire time here, I only had I think one broken link. This week, I've already had several and all of them turned out to be perfectly fine when I retested. I had suspected it was something goofy going on with HP's servers or something and they were maybe timing out before they loaded a page? I don't' know. I'm not the expert here.

Hadn't thought about the page being down temporarily. Good point.

2. K9keystrokes profile image93

ryankett,  very good point!  Makes perfect sense that HP would only run the link checker intermittently. I have been changing the linking activities within my hubs as well, possibly this is the issue. Sure do appreciate your help. Will have to keep monitoring to see when and what links are in play. Thanks.

2. CMHypno profile image89
          CMHypnoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Might be best to go and read some of the other forum threads - because of the Google changes in Feb there are currently hubbers deleting some/all of their hubs and the moderators are also taking down non-compliant hubs. That's probably why you are getting broken links notices - I have had a few as well

Good advice, and I have been reading the posts regarding the google changes and new hub rules with vigor. But I don't recall seeing this problem in any of them. Will have to re-cap, thanks.

2. Cagsil profile image59
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Hey K9,

Actually, just recently I deleted 11 hubs. I had tons of broken links. However, I ran across many other internal links that were still inside my text capsules that were never picked up by any sort of monitoring device for broken links.

I ended up catching them on my own. hmm I found that extremely frustrating, because Hubpages never found them. And, I have no explanation for it.

The only ones, broken links, Hubpages is catching are the ones that are inside the link capsule. Not good.

Wow Cags, sounds like a ton of work brother! I appreciate the message here; check hub links even if no warning pops up. Thanks!

1. Cagsil profile image59
        Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hey K9, what got me was the ones that were "embedded" in the text capsules that were not caught. wink

I deleted a couple of hubs a couple of months ago, but had embedded links in the text capsules of other hubs, which I noticed with my recent changes.

I was shocked.

Gotcha. I can see why, the frustration surrounding everything google as of late, and then stack on this linking issue, not sure I would have any hair left. The embedded links incident is pretty surprising.

3. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

I've found a repeated problem recently with amazon.co.uk links in my hubs reading as broken, when they aren't.
    Anyway, it's not really a problem because it's just a button click to ask the a recheck under stats ~> broken links, and that fixes them.

Interesting about the false readings? I agree, the fix is really simple, but the increase did nudge my curiosity. Thanks for the help Izzy!

4. tritrain profile image74
    tritrainposted 6 years ago

The links may be fine, it's just that when HubPages checked, there may have been a 'time-out' or other issue.

The next time that HubPages checks it may work again.

Very good to know tritrain. I was hoping it was something like this and not because some of us hubbers had to revise some of our published hubs recently. I link to great hubs in every hub I write, because I believe this adds to my readers experience overall.  I would be heartbroken if this was going to become a negative for future hub interlinking. We are a community after all, and should support one another as such.

working