jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

The Forum Filter add-on and Firefox 4 - Important Update!

1. Edweirdo profile image94
    Edweirdoposted 5 years ago

Firefox 4 was released today, so you may get a notice from your browser that an update is available.

The Forum Filter does not yet work with Firefox 4!

I thought I would have more time before the official release of FF4, so I am not quite done yet sad

I hope to publish the new version of Forum Filter today or tomorrow. Here are some things you need to know...

* There will be a new feature that will allow you to block individual threads in forum topics that you have not blocked. New features will be released over time, which leads to the next point...
    * The new version of the add-on will not be hosted at the official Mozilla site. The rules that Mozilla uses for approving add-ons do not allow me to get full approval (because they consider the userbase for it to be too small). Since it isn't capable of reaching full approval, I cannot provide automated updates to the add-on from the Mozilla site, so I have to host it on my own website. The link to the site is included on the Mozilla page and will also be available on my profile
    * The new version will no longer be free. For the first incarnation of the add-on, I was relying on voluntary donations from those who used the add-on. Unfortunately, very few people actually made a donation (about 9%), and I received a total of about $40 for all my hard work - that's less than a dollar an hour sad
    Since it is not in my best interest to work for free, I've decided that I need to charge for the add-on - it will be less than $2, payable via PayPal, so it should be affordable for everyone. And keep in mind that you do not need a PayPal account to pay for it - you can use a credit/debit card or even an eCheck from your bank account if you don't have a PayPal account!
    If you have already donated to the add-on, you will receive an email to the address you used to make your PayPal payment with a link to the new version. You won't have to pay twice...

So, if you want to keep using the filter, don't upgrade to FF4 just yet! I will publish the new version as soon as I can, so please be patient smile

2. Pandoras Box profile image81
    Pandoras Boxposted 5 years ago

Thanks for the update, Edweirdo. And the update.

Thanks for the update on the update.

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

thanks, I won't update until the filter is ready.  I'm sorry to hear that not all donated the small amount you suggested. I don't blame you for now charging for the add-on.

4. Pandoras Box profile image81
    Pandoras Boxposted 5 years ago

Me neither. Disgusted really. Only 9% of hubbers... That's sad.

5. Cagsil profile image85
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I don't have a use for it and never downloaded. Sorry to hear about your hard work not being honored. hmm