jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

How to get new capsules tested?

1. Mark Painter profile image61
    Mark Painterposted 6 years ago

Ok, I want to make some changes to the Text Capsule, but the headwind of stasis and stagnation is pretty stiff.  The problem is the Text Capsule is critical for Hubbers to write Hubs.  So, breaking it would be very bad.  Also, there are about a billion environmental variations that might cause me to break it without finding out about it before a bunch of Hubbers got frustrated, because they couldn't write Hubs.

Anyway, if I made a button on the page where you view your hubs that was labelled, "edit beta", are you game?  Would you try it once in a while?  You might not notice anything different, or you might get to preview some new features.  If the features turned out to be problematic, you could always go back an click the regular, "edit" button.

If my suggestion wouldn't work for you, do you have any other thoughts about how to make experimental functionality available to you, but leave you in control of when you have had enough of the experiment?

Thanks

2. barryrutherford profile image28
    barryrutherfordposted 6 years ago

I would feel better if you gave a bit of an explanation as to why you want to meddle with this...

1. Michael Willis profile image77
      Michael Willisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

...and what the difference would be in the beta edit button, like details?

2. Mark Painter profile image61
      Mark Painterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Some of the reasons are arcane, but important.  It would be nice to do a wholesale upgrade of some software that we use to better support new browsers, make maintenance easier, etc., for example. 

Otherwise, it is what you might expect.  We want to add new features over time.  I've heard some complaints that the edit window can't be re-sized, for example.   

BTW,  I forgot to mention in my original post that I would also love to hear suggestions for ways the Text module could be better.

1. barryrutherford profile image28
        barryrutherfordposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I woulld like to see differnt fonts used.  Mostly they use the standard paragraph because the other font's don't present bery well...

3. Michael Willis profile image77
    Michael Willisposted 6 years ago

What about a "beta" test for writing a New hub only 'First' and let us try it out. If it works without causing a major problem, then make it an option for "editing" existing hubs.

Kinda like a test drive with a new car. You like it, you buy it. wink

working