Can someone tell me why eCPMs go down?

1. Flightkeeper profile image79
    Flightkeeperposted 5 years ago

For the month of March my total clicks are down it looks like 20% but then again I've unpublished like 20% of my hubs but, what is that makes eCPMs go down?  My earnings are down by 40% as compared to to February.  I'm sure it has to do with the Google change but can someone explain.  I haven't tuned in lately.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

eCPM has nothing to do with your actual earnings - it's just an extrapolation based on what you have earnt.

If you had 5 impressions and earnt $5 from those impressions, your eCPM would be $1000 because it calculates how much the same numbers would make if you had 1,000 impressions, not just 5. Of course if you get 5 more impressions and earn $0, your eCPM would fall, to $500.

3. wilderness profile image97
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

Two things that will cause ecpm to go down is a decrease in the click through rate and decreased values for clicks.

ecpm is calculated by dividing income by impressions and multiplying by 1000. 

If 1000 views produces 10 clicks instead of 20 then income will probably fall, as will ecpm.  The exception is if the clicks each paid twice as much - not likely to happen.

If 1000 views produces the same number of clicks as it always has but each click is worth half as much then income will again fall, as will ecpm. 

I think many of us are seeing a decrease in what is paid per click.  Traffic is down from the Panda update, but this doesn't affect ecpm.  Even with a click through rate about what it was before the update, the decreased value of clicks has reduced ecpm.  My own ecpm is about 1/3 what it was; coupled with badly reduced traffic my adsense has taken a real dive.  Add in the use of HP ad program (which reduces the # of adsense ads and therefore negatively affects CTR) and it's nearly 0.