Which is Smarter: Dogs or Cats?

1. BlissfulWriter profile image85
    BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago

For the Hubpages Animal Topic, I had wrote about how I thought that dogs are smarter than cats:
    <snipped link>

However, some may agree and some may disagree.  What are your opinion as to which is smarter?  Do you think dogs are smarter or cats are smarter?   Might be good to hear experiences from some who have both dogs and cats.

1. carcro profile image88
      carcroposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I had a dog for thirteen years. A year after our pooch died, we got our first cat, and then two more over the next 4 years. From my experience I would have to say cats are much smarter. My dog never learned much in her 13 years, it would take very specific and dedicated training on my part to get her to do anything directed. And on her own, as loving and wonderful as she was, she never showed she had it in her to learn anything on her own.

My cats are all very smart (for cats that is). They all have a nack to learn how to do things all on their own, including opening doors. I mean they know to reach up on the door and pull down on the handle, no training required. I think the closest my pooch ever came to that is to try and claw through closed doors.

But realistically, they are both probably limited to the same IQ. Afterall, we don't get pets because they're smart...though I swear some are smarter than their owners...Lol

1. BlissfulWriter profile image85
        BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's true.  We choose are pets for many other reason besides their IQ.