jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Enabling features to make it hard to plagiarize

1. alexadry profile image92
    alexadryposted 5 years ago

I am always staggered by the amount of my hubs that are copied by unscrupulous bloggers. They just copy and paste my articles and then post it to their website and blog without having the decency of even asking permission. Some even have the courage to put their name or admin next to the article! I am reporting to DMCA on almost a daily basis lately. Sadly, it takes more than 6 months on average for any action to be taken.

I was wondering if Hubpages can put some feature that disables articles from being copied or pasted, or as some others do, only allow like 50 words to be copied with a link to Hubpages on the end. I think some sort of measure will discourage such illegal practices..

It is a shame that these things happen especially at a time that Google is punishing duplicate content. I can have an article here and then discover there are two or three more at other websites across the web, no wonder my Google earnings have gone to low!

2. WorkinItOut profile image60
    WorkinItOutposted 5 years ago

I am new here and have been worrying about this as well. How do you know when others have copied your work? I am also wondering if we are allowed to put copyright marks on our personal photos that we use in our hubs.

alexadryposted 5 years ago in reply to this

go to ''my account'' ''hubs'' and then ''copied hubs'' and you should see a list of your hubs that have been copied..

3. Cheeky Girl profile image85
    Cheeky Girlposted 5 years ago

There is a wonderful security feature on Google's eBooks. Try copying text off the screen with your cursor...you can't highlight or select any text, so it makes copying very tough for folks, and I would love to see more websites using that copy-protect feature. Some web designers know how to do it.

If your photos are 100% belonging to you, then put a copyright notice on them. Even using MS Paint or GIMP to put the notice in a corner of the picture. Some graphics software will allow you to modify tags and add tags with Copyright messages on them. On every Windows PC is an application called Microsoft Photo Gallery, and it can do it for you. Open the photo in there, then look on the right side where the photo name, tags, add tags and other additions can be made. They can all be edited there. The moment you change them, the change is permanent. beware of photos that have watermarks in them.

Photoshop can put watermarks on Photos, and Hubs Management flag Hubbers with watermarked Photos, in case the photos are not yours.

Hope that helps. smile

alexadryposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That sounds like a great feature.. I also stumbled once on a website which upon using the copy feature prompted a warning like ''You are not authorized to use this function due to copyrights''

Thanks for the info on putting a copyright on photos..i will certainly use that!

4. WorkinItOut profile image60
    WorkinItOutposted 5 years ago

Thanks to you both, that is very helpful. So far all of the pictures I am using were taken by me with my own camera, so they are 100% mine and I want to keep it that way. I had no idea I could see copies that easily...thanks guys!

1. Michael Willis profile image78
      Michael Willisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

In a hub I wrote in February I took all the outdoor winter pictures and designed the appearance I wanted for them. I added the Copyright in the corner, but it could be cropped out or covered by someone else.
      But...what anyone who may steal my pics does not know is I have a little message hidden inside the pictures that no one will know about. Only I know what it is and how to find it.