jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)

Power struggle over "content farms" within Google?

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image91
    PaulGoodman67posted 6 years ago

Interesting article about Google classifying Google Places as a "content farm" and the power struggle within the organization.  I don't know how true it is, I just thought it was a topic worthy of interest/discussion on HP?

http://techcrunch.com/2011/03/31/google … rch-index/

1. tritrain profile image75
      tritrainposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I hope we at HubPages don't get caught in the middle.

UP down UP down...

And this latest +1 business.  They tried a variation of it a couple years ago. 

When are they going to realize that everything they do could be figured out and gamed by someone eventually.

1. I am DB Cooper profile image69
        I am DB Cooperposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm not sure if I understand how the whole +1 thing works. Would people really want to share that information with their Google contacts? What happens if I accidentally click on +1. Does Google realize that people often use Gmail for business, and a lot of their contacts are not people they would normally share links with (in other words: Gmail is not Facebook!)?

2. rebekahELLE profile image93
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

I saw that yesterday and thought is was interesting also.  That is the article about Demand Media CEO and revenue chief of Google?
    It looks like Google is upset with the webspam team for a few reasons. It's always about money.

3. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago
    1. rebekahELLE profile image93
      rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

you never know how much is true or a bit of satire.
      the yacht seems a bit sketchy... and the quote from Cutts towards the bottom is rather snarky.

1. BRIAN SLATER profile image84
        BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Just remember it is April fools day, so take it with a pinch of salt.

4. sunforged profile image72
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

"“Screw the webspam team,” and “It’s not like people are going to start using Bing.”"

smile

1. rebekahELLE profile image93
      rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I got a chuckle out of that too, yes, it is like people are going to use Bing. I know quite a few who have abandoned daily google searches in their work

5. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 6 years ago

The amazing thing to me is that my Cape Cod site, is getting huge amounds of traffic from bing and yahoo, while being ignored by google.

6. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago

He was pissed, LOL  that "Adsense" yacht should be named "How To" juice

http://techcrunch.com/2011/03/31/richar … t-of-this/

7. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 6 years ago

"Screw webspam. It's not like people are going to start using bing."

Really?

I started using it a while ago because I don't like the stuff that google brings up.

1. Dame Scribe profile image61
      Dame Scribeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree about the search results tongue I'm trying to find a answer to a problem or question and get sent a bunch of for-pay business sites tongue and have to go pagesssss into the search to find what I'm looking for. mad definitely time for a different search engine.

1. profile image0
        Sophia Angeliqueposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yup, there are quite a few coming out of the woodworks and proving to be surprisingly good! smile

8. SandyMcCollum profile image79
    SandyMcCollumposted 6 years ago

Just look at the yacht. A FORTY MILLION DOLLAR yacht? I doubt it, 4 million maybe... I think it's an April Fools' joke.

1. Rosie2010 profile image82
      Rosie2010posted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol I'm not an expert on yachts, but I agree with you on this one.. that yacht looks more like 4 million not 40!

9. PaulGoodman67 profile image91
    PaulGoodman67posted 6 years ago

I don't think it's a deliberate hoax article.  My "don't know how true it is" comment was meant to mean that I wasn't sure how much the article was based on gossip and heresay, rather than actual fact.

I am impressed by people's keeness to valuate yachts!  ;-)

working