jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Google is scrambling summaries up.

1. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

I have been noticing this for quite awhile.

Google lists the hub title and then some off-the-wall comment note as the summary. Not the hubs first paragraph. Not the summary section if so indicated. No, google is picking up its summary info from some randomly selected, usually idiotic comment. What is up with that?

Is google being a mess again or is the person leaving the comment very, very tech smart somehow?

2. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 5 years ago

I don't know. But it is certainly an interesting question.

3. 0
    ryankettposted 5 years ago

I have seen this recently too.

Have you specifically written a summary though? Via the appropriate option in edit mode? Because I don't do that.

If you don't write one of those it will be left to Google to generate a summary, generally this will be the first sentence or two, but it can be anything.

4. paradigmsearch profile image89

Yep, I did the summary thing. Alas, I have even seen documentation somewhere though that googe will ignore it more often than not. If they would pick something that was part of the original hub, I wouldn't be too perturbed. smile But they seem to be always grabbing nonsensical stuff from the comments section.

I even deleted the relevant comment once. But when google re-indexed they just picked another one.

5. paradigmsearch profile image89

You know what? This clearly indicates to me that google can’t tell the difference between the article and the comments.

Someone sometime ago hypothesized that misspellings in comments would hurt the hub ranking. I think I have just come around to their point of view…

1. 0
      ryankettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm removing comments from sales pages. Having somebody write "bet this will make you lots of money" couldn't have been doing much for my conversion rate. It also moves that bottom ad unit right next to the content.