jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (18 posts)

I Miss the (728 x 90) ad in the Middle

1. 2besure profile image83
    2besureposted 6 years ago

I suggest we put back the (728 x 90) in the middle of the hubs.  Those who are not using the new Hub Ad program or turn it off, are missing an ad in a important place. Smack dab in the middle there is nothing!  Thanks for your consideration.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It is still there - you do not see it when you are logged in.

2besureposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Oh, thank you Mark.  I thought that might have added to lower rev.

2. 2besure profile image83

Mark, I logged out and I still don't see it.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image64
      prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think this is still what they use - http://blog.hubpages.com/2011/03/ad-layout-changes/

I miss that too in the middle, but I guess, they are maximizing ways to get the best layout for maximized earning potential.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 6 years ago

They are still there:

http://markpknowles.com/wp-content/uploads/hp-ads.JPG

I guess they do not show all the time.

Oh I am sorry Mark I was not talking about the one on top.  What size are used to be in the middle of our hub?

1. Cagsil profile image58
        Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The ad placement that comes after the secondary text capsule and/or after the first full size photo in the second placement.

Text - ad block
        Photo-
        Google Ad Placement
        Text/Photo..etc...

Text - ad block
        Text - photo
        Google Ad Placement
        Text/Photo...etc..

The Google Ad Placement in the above examples has been removed.

2. 2besure profile image83

Hey Mark, what's with the French ads on the hub picture you captured?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I live in France so google assumes I want French ads.

I hate google..........  sad

3. Mark Ewbie profile image84
    Mark Ewbieposted 6 years ago

I'm pretty sure those middle ones that appeared in between the third / fourth capsules (roughly) have now gone.  Whether you are in the HP program or out of it.

I had about 80 hubs when it went that had been spaced at that point to fit round the ads in a reasonably attractive, and hopefully tempting way.

Bit irritating.  Plus of course my Adsense has completely bombed.

I've now turned off the HP thing to see if I get any clicks back.

I'd rather have a dollar click every five days than 20 cents a day from HP - if that makes any sense. At least it's more exciting.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Like you, Mark, I miss the big days from Adsense.  Of course I don't miss the myriads of clicks paying a few pennies - that got pretty irritating.  Just as soon not get one at all as get one for $.03!

Nevertheless, I will tentatively turn of the HPads in a few days - I'm just a few dollars away from payout there.  If I go right back to all those tiny clicks it comes right back on, though.

HP did say we could expect more even days from the ad program, but I didn't expect to have to get excited when daily income rose a quarter.  I still want those big $10 days occasionally. (Big to me anyway smile )

I am experimenting.  I disabled the comments capsule on about 50% of my hubs, yesterday I had a $12 Adsense day. 

Today only $2.45, so I am not sure if it was the changes I made or if it would have happened anyway.  There is a nice juicy ad at the bottom of the hub that seems to be more viable when the comments capsule is gone.

I will watch my earnings for the next week to see if removing comments is working.  I only disabled comment on articles that don't usually get many or any comments.

I've wondered about that as well.  I've a few hubs with a lengthy list of comments: I doubt that anyone ever reads to the bottom and actually finds that last ad block unless they are looking for the comment box to post a comment.

As I rarely get organic comments (usually they are from fellow hubbers) the organic reader is unlikely to search for that comment box.  As fellow hubbers don't click, I don't care if they see the ad or not, but I would like organic visitors to find it!

I hate to lose all the comments as I think they can add to a hub, though.  Perhaps the answer lies somewhere between; remove all but the last 5 or so comments.  That would not be a big deal to me as I answer then all anyway and could just go up and remove the top ones every time I answer a comment.

Hey Wilderness you can limit the number of comments on a hub. There is a drop-down menu with pre-set options. wink

@2besure- Mark Knowles is in Europe, France I think. wink

Do you know if those options will simply keep future comments from appearing or will it delete the earliest ones while accepting new ones?

I would hate to lose any seo from new content by not accepting new comments, plus I think they are reader friendly; by allowing the reading to participate in the hub it adds something to the experience I'm trying to provide.

Hey Wilderness, I don't think it deletes comments. The options given for the "comment" capsule is to display comments- "all" or "at most 20", or "at most 50" or "at most 100" are the choices.

It puts a clickable link to see more comments and tells you how many more comments there are, just above the white box to post a comment. smile

I think you're right.  I've never used it, but the key is probably "display" comments.  The option probably won't refuse more OR delete others - it just doesn't display them unless requested to do so.  Makes sense.

working