Is anyone involved in the deletion of articles at Helium?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (18 posts)
  1. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 12 years ago

Authors can delete the articles they don't want at the site, dependent on certain conditions. They have a list of articles that need improvement.I have several #1 articles on the list. lol

1. lrohner profile image69
      lrohnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have a few articles that have been trapped over there for a few years. You mean I can delete them now???

brakel2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can delete some of them. I want mine out of there to post them elsewhere. You can delete them according to the number of your writing stars. I have one star so can only delete one. Go figure!!!!!!!!!  I think they have lost it, or maybe they're the smart ones.

1. lrohner profile image69
          lrohnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ack! I haven't written anything there in at least two years -- maybe more. I just checked, and I have 18 articles that have been there since mid-2007. Sheesh, I just want them back!!!

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

How do you find out which ones you can delete?

They sent me an email about it, and later told me that the articles are at the website entitled "needs improvement". You might update your email address and write them at content@helium.com. If I can find my emails, I can forward them to you.

After you find out how many articles you can delete, you fill out a form to request a deletion.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 12 years ago

The program is just being rolled out and you have to have "writing stars" to be part of it.

Unfortunately, I have no writing stars right now.  To get writing stars I would have to revise (leapfrog) a whole bunch of articles to get them ranking higher in the ratings. Then you have to submit a list of the articles you'd like to delete and they will "consider" it.  However you can only delete one article for every writing star you have!!

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I'm sure it was Helium that didn't permit writers from outside the US and Canada.
    Edit: And maybe Australia. I found that living in Span automatically barred me from loads of sites.
    Glad I wasn't allowed to write there now!

5. Randy Godwin profile image62
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Personally, I would like to delete a few of the people who work for Helium!  smile

That is the best laugh I have had all day. Thanks for brightening my day.

1. Randy Godwin profile image62
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wish I could laugh along with you, brakel2!  I have over 100 articles trapped there since I was banned from the site.  smile

I'm sure they will be very careful who's articles they allow to be deleted.  What do you think about the 1 year exclusive rights they now get for anything submitted to Helium?  smile

I am sorry, and I wrote them a few days ago asking why my #1 articles on on a "needs improvement" list. So I asked to delete a #1. I am sure they won't do that. I told them that I am proud of my top bracket articles. Of course, I have not received a response.

Anyway, you were treated so unfairly, but it sounds like something they would do. Anyway take care, and I hope it works out.

Thanks, brakel2!

I don't worry too much about the articles left there as they will be free when helium folds soon.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
              Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I should start saving mine from Helium

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
              Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've been waiting for that to happen for years.  They borrowed $17 million in 2008 - I can't believe they managed to raise that much!  In the new climate, you'd have to think their investors would be getting anxious.

The thing is, unlike HubPages, they don't publish their stats on places like Quantcast. They're claiming they didn't get hit badly by Panda and without evidence, who's to say otherwise?

So they may, against all logic, actually survive.

6. Lisa HW profile image64
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

The last time I looked I still had the 5 stars, but deleting 5 pieces of writing out of 500 and however many (roll  lol  lol ) (Hey - I was getting over a bad flu/pneumonia thing for a few months and had nothing else to do...   hmm  ) isn't going to make much of difference for me.  I figure they can let me know if they want something deleted - and they can delete it.  The deleting thing is only a pilot program for now anyway.  I can't see getting all involved with it.

The new thing over there now is that they want a one-year thing that articles posted after a certain (recent) date not be copied or published anywhere else.  I've already continued exercising my right to copy (yes, "duplicate", but I don't care) my own pre-changes work (even though there's not much benefit other than exercising my right to do it for my own reasons (of of which is to copy my own stuff before the rules change and prohibit doing that, not that I have particular reason to think that's going to happen).

I liked the site when I was more active on it (and before a lot of things changed).  I still have nothing against the site. (It's just that I'm way over that flu that had me sick for - like - three months and tired for another three).  The people were good to me there.  They just went in a direction that wasn't right for me (namely, becoming too much a matter of  "we're-all-in-this-to-help-everyone-else-learn-to-write". That wasn't what I was in it for.

For the last couple of years the only thing I do is rate to keep the account active (and to be paid) and - just for fun - if I run into a poem title during rating I'll challenge myself to see what I can come up with.  That won't be happening any longer, even if they're dumb, quickly whipped up, poems that aren't worth caring about.  Nothing of mine is going go on any more sites that don't let writers delete what they want to delete.  I'm also not interested in turning getting paid (or not getting paid) into a matter of competition - as if it's all a game.

Whatever I have on there, I have on there.  If they want to delete stuff of mine they can.  For now, whatever it does or doesn't keep earning, fine too.  If anything changes that appeals to me I may re-think what I'll do or not do.  In the meantime, I can barely digest all the ins and outs of all the ways anything works or doesn't work on there (as far as rules go).

Oh well...   I just discovered the other day that I lost my "silver medal" (or whatever it is) for creative writing.  lol  roll  mad   I've been kicked down to Bronze.  lol  Clearly, I'm on my way out.   smile  (I'm kind of sensing "on my way out" here too - just not there quite yet.)

Helium staff and stewards tried to vilify me after my ban and lied to the members concerning my removal from the site.  They claimed I was stalking stewards, which was a complete lie.  They were embarrassed when I exposed them for lying about certain aspects of the site.  Liars, for the most part working there.

I sincerely hope it bites the dust! smile

1. Lisa HW profile image64
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've never been a fan of that whole steward thing anyway.   It's too messy, not something solid writers who go by the rules need, and not the answer to having people who write poorly on a site.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)