jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

What about writing fiction on HubPages?

1. Rene Lassater profile image59
    Rene Lassaterposted 8 years ago

Does anyone use this venue for serialized fiction? I'm thinking it might be fun to write something along the lines of Carrie Bradshaw's Sex and the City column, or Armistead Maupin's Tale's of the City. Maybe this is not an appropriate place to do this...please do give me your impressions or suggestions.

2. Inspirepub profile image87
    Inspirepubposted 8 years ago

Some people do this - just search "fiction" in the search box and you'll find some.

3. crashcromwell profile image81
    crashcromwellposted 8 years ago

People are of differing opinions on this subject. I personally support using the forum for any appropriate purpose, and that includes fiction (which is why I have posted several chapters of a novel I've written as hubs here.) I believe anything well-written should be posted.

4. Rik Ravado profile image93
    Rik Ravadoposted 8 years ago

Yes I've published fiction.  I also did a spoof romantic serial called Coffee! which I ran for three episodes.  I made it clear I would only publish episodes if people wanted me to (based on reader comments) and by the third episode there were no comments! 

Traffic is relatively low for fiction and therefore adsense earnings are also very low.  Good fun but not a good way to earn a living!

I also experimented with what I called a HubWay network.  Linking one word hubs together through word associations.   Also check out Gamergirl's Hub Tennis hub for an interesting way to link different author's hubs together.

I think your column idea is good.  I see HubPages as an experimental platform where you can try anything as long as it is original.

5. weblog profile image59
    weblogposted 8 years ago

I have published a story here, but not tried serialized smile

6. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 8 years ago

I also enjoy writing fiction from time to time, and no I have not made more than ten cents with it.  However, it is relaxing and fun to create.

7. hot dorkage profile image79
    hot dorkageposted 8 years ago

My mom has a whole blogload of serialized fictionalized reality.  It works fine as a blog though.  I got 75% of it blogged.

8. broalexdotinfo profile image61
    broalexdotinfoposted 8 years ago

I`ve recommended Hubpages for this friend of mine, he is a novelist, and only writes fiction novels. He asked me where to start gaining some new audience and truly Hubpages is the place. After all hubs can get an impressive amount of search engine and social media traffic so Hubpages`s users wouldn`t be the only audience for any one hub. I have entertained myself with some great hubs for the past few months on various subjects, so pretty much everything would work on HP if it`s well written.

9. Rik Ravado profile image93
    Rik Ravadoposted 8 years ago

Rene - The problem with a serial or a regular column is maintaining a readership and hence traffic.  Hubbers are very supportive of new Hubs but in my experience are less likely to keep coming back and reading new additions or episodes.  So unless you can get an audience via search engines (difficult for fiction unless you are 'famous') then the traffic will fall away fairly quickly.

On the positive side, Hubbers do give encouraging feedback - more so than you'd get from the wider Internet audience.  On balance I think a column is worth a try but don't expect big audiences or significant earnings!