jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Why don't people comment much?

1. tritrain profile image76
    tritrainposted 5 years ago

*Fine, I'll ask it here. Closing my question...

****This is not an attempt to get people to comment****

I wonder about the placement of the comments capsule and the way it is presented (making it a challenge to see interaction between commenters).

Even on Hubs with a lot of external traffic the commenting can be low.

I've seen other peoples' Hubs that are not interactive or particularly interesting, yet they have many more comments and questions.

What works to encourage visitors to comment?
    Is it a good following of friends and family on social networks?
    Could the Hub be "so well-written" that it answers all the questions, so no questions need be asked?

1. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Interactive and interesting can be very subjective.  If you have something that connects strongly with a niche reader/audience, it doesn't matter if everyone else thinks your Hub doesn't qualify as either.

I have a few Hubs that get comments constantly, but they're not really comments, they're questions.  Leading a conversation or debate seems to be a lot harder to do than answering questions, at least IMO.

So, how do I get so many questions?  The readers feel I have knowledge or experience that they don't, and so they ask.  I don't know how to tell you how to present yourself as a credible resource.  You'll have to figure out the best way to do that for yourself.

BTW, I always put comment capsules at the bottom of the Hub, so people are going to have to go through the whole thing to get to it.

2. lakeerieartists profile image78
      lakeerieartistsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I get comments on some of my hubs, but mostly from other hubbers.  Only on a few do I get comments from outside Hubpages, and those are usually on instructional hubs.

2. Monisajda profile image83
    Monisajdaposted 5 years ago

I do get an impression that some of these comments actually come from friends and family of the hubber. In some instances they are comments from other hubbers that visit your hub shortly after it has been published.