jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Insights from Demand Media

1. emdi profile image73
    emdiposted 5 years ago

I think it will be helpful for hubbers to get suggestions about topics to write about (based on the present and future trend and demand). Hubpages could do it easily as u have the strong technical support to find the hot topics of future and present.

For instance, Hubpages can give a list of topics as 'suggestions' to write on, just in the same line of thought as Demand Media gives  topics to write on. However,in hubpages, the hubbers can have complete freedom to decide if he likes to choose that topic and hubbers own the article.

I suggest this because, I participated in 30 day challenge on Personal Finance. Hubpages gave few bonus topics to write on. Initially I choose my own topics to write on. Then I changed my strategy and started writing on topics hubpages suggested. The hubs that I earn now(pretty well) are the hub topics hubpages suggested.

a crazy idea that popped up while reading about government shut down  big_smile

1. brandonhart100 profile image84
      brandonhart100posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Not a terrible idea at all.  In fact, one of the big problems that people have right now is writing about what Google considers "duplicate content" in a title that is very similar and is trying to rank for the same keywords as another hub.  Google will give priority to the earlier written hub in most cases... so getting suggestions on what people haven't written about would be awesome smile

2. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Go to Helium and steal their topic ideas smile

3. Ari Lamstein profile image77
      Ari Lamsteinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi Embdi,

If you are looking for ideas to write on I suggest visiting our Q&A section (http://hubpages.com/question/hot/).  Remember that you can answer all questions with a Hub.  We recently had a blog post where we highlighted recent improvements to the Q&A section (http://blog.hubpages.com/2011/03/answers-with-ari/).

1. emdi profile image73
        emdiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Do you really think the questions asked in hubpages are the real questions that people will search for in google. Some may be but not most of them.  More over these questions are asked by hubbers (limited audience and the real purpose why this is asked also differs from google search ). 

I am not searching for ideas to write. I can write about all crap things.  I am searching for topics that give me more traffic and more money.  I guess this is the main reason majority of the people write in hubpages.

So if the smart team at hubpages could share with us the latest trends for user search or topics not covered in web and high earning potential, it will be helpful to us (since u have the algorithms things will be easier for you than us, doing it manually)

Thanks for the link to Q&A I was not knowing about this update.

2. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

Wasn't that the whole thing behind the now-defunct HP idea bank? I was never a fan, as you just wound up with tons of hubbers fighting over the same keywords.

And Demand doesn't go after "hot topics." They get their titles from real searches that people have made. That's why you see so many articles written on really obscure topics over there.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

I got one of my best performing hubs from the idea bank. But that was over 2 years ago.

4. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

HP does give ideas in the learning center of how to choose topics.

You can also check out google trends and pick something that may also be an evergreen topic.  Today's hot trend topics:

I see a few of those that could be worked into a decent hub, like planned parenthood, military pay. Instead of the broad topic, find out what people are searching about those topics that could be of interest now and later.

I think HP is getting away from suggesting topics as it can also have adverse effects on the site as a whole. I wonder if Demand Media has a quota of how many they allow on any given subject.