Why is HubPages so nitpicky these days?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (38 posts)
  1. kcreery profile image60
    kcreeryposted 13 years ago

Dear ...,

"Your recent question "Is HubPages becoming too nitpicky?  It seems like everything gets flagged these days.  What gives?" has been removed because it encouraged a discussion rather than a Hub or short answer. Surveys and poll-type questions do not belong in the Q&A section.  To engage in a discussion or conversation, please post in the Forums section at http://hubpages.com/forum/, or for private conversation you can contact another Hubber directly from their profile page."

It seems my questions are getting flagged these days.  What has happened to HubPages?  Is this part of a crackdown from advertisers?

1. tritrain profile image69
      tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Google came down hard on many websites, including HubPages, due to being considered "spammy" sites, with little value.

It's been frustrating for many people, but it's a necessary thing.

2. Daffy Duck profile image61
      Daffy Duckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just had 2 questions rejected today.  I know what you mean.  Why bother have a Q and A if the answers are going to be too short or too long.  They have to be perfect and it's tickin' me off. 

Necessary my A**.  Yes and no questions are ok.  What's wrong with those?

1. tritrain profile image69
        tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What is necessary is for HubPages to try to recoup our ranking and traffic by limiting and removing spam and short, nonsensical Hubs.

I've had many questions closed on me too.  I don't like it, but that's the way it goes.  Maybe the question is better asked in the Forum.  The Q/A feature has a lot of limitations, including only one answer per person.

I've kind of given up on that myself.

1. Daffy Duck profile image61

If enough people give up on it, maybe they'll just shut it down.  One can only hope.

1. Will Apse profile image88
            Will Apseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I answered a question myself since it seemed tailor made for me. I'll see if it gets rejected.

Answering questions is ok.  Asking them is another thing.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The questions are meant to be the sort of thing you could write a hub on.  Seems clear enough to me.  Not to ask for help using hub pages, bitch about hub pages, post long rants, etc etc.

2. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

No. It's part of HP's new TOS. The question is better suited to the forum. But I suppose you're seeing the irony in what it is you've asked.

3. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

I don't think our rules have changed too much recently (certainly not in the Q&A section), we're just getting better at enforcing them, and communicating the problems to users.

1. kcreery profile image60
      kcreeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe it's more enforcement these days.  Fantasy Football and Basketball is over so HP can enforce the rules more these days.

4. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

to get rid of the nits?

http://images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/0-4999/1024/800/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_492356.jpg

1. Rosie2010 profile image67
      Rosie2010posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol  Oh Greek One, you're making me laugh so much.  I just love your sense of humour. big_smile

2. kmackey32 profile image63
      kmackey32posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

5. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 13 years ago

This happened to me too.  I asked a question if people were participating in the April writing contest and my question disappeared.. just went to limbo or something... then came the notice that my question was best asked in forums, same as what you got.

6. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

They really need to start nitpicken the religious crap on here....

Absolutely kmackey32!  Aren't those questions more of discussion questions anyways?

1. kmackey32 profile image63
        kmackey32posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think so and I hate them dicussions. Seems its always arguments of what religion is better....

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
          Jean Bakulaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know. If you go on the Hopper, about 5 out of 10 hubs are Christian. And they are not original content, they are ripped straight out of the Bible. I'm really disgusted after 6 months of writing and no money. Even many of the hubs in the contest are full of graphs and maps, but are just about personal vacations, something listed as boring to readers in the first place and not encouraged as interesting content. There seems to be a double standard for a certain group.

7. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 13 years ago

Can anyone tell me what the questions thing is about? I haven't taken much interest but Hubpages seem serious about it. Is it supposed to be a rival to Yahoo questions? Or is it an SEO thing?

Just curious.

I'm not exactly sure, but it's giving me fits.  If the answers are too short or too long the question is rejected.  It has to be just perfect and I'm about to stop asking questions and just concentrate on the forums.

8. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

I thought the Question section was to be about a Question Asked that would inspire a Hub be written for the answer.

Yeh, that would sound reasonable. Except that if someone is trying to micromanage the content of the questions and answers you start to think something else is involved.

9. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 13 years ago

I just looked through the questions list and found this gem:

Is all the processed foods damaging our organ?

It made my day.

1. Rosie2010 profile image67
      Rosie2010posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

10. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 13 years ago

I wanted to alert an author here that her hub had been stolen by 68Articles. Since she had disabled the direct messaging facility, the only way I could attempt to reach her was by addressing a question to her.

However, the question has been wiped. Obviously, some subjective interpretation of what is or is not a question is more important to the petty bureaucrats running this site than the fact that someone was trying to help an author maintain her rights over her work. 

This plus the banning of Pearldiver is the last straw. No more hubhopping. Let the paid lackeys clean up this site as far as I am concerned. I will not waste any more effort trying to help.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pearldiver was banned?!

This site has gone bonkers.

Totally with you on the hubhopping thing.  I don't get paid to hubhop, so I won't do it.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
        Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pearldiver has been temporarily banned from the forums for personal attacks.

1. profile image0
          EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like a bit of an overreaction on someone's part to me.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

WriteAngled, this problem pops up in the forums from time to time, and I do wish HubPages would rethink the Q&A section - it lends itself to misunderstanding too easily.

The Questions section is NOT a place to ask simple questions of other Hubbers about Hubbing. It never has been.  The place for that is in the forums.

The Questions feature is a way to ask a question to which you would like a long, thorough answer, preferably written as a Hub.  Always has been.

I think the HP team has never paid much attention to moderating it, so inappropriate questions have been allowed - and that's now changing.  But the rules haven't.

I can see why you used the section as you did and I would probably have done the same - let's hope the Hubber concerned read it before it was wiped!  Maybe you could email the HubPages team and ask them to pass on a message? 

As for PearlDiver - I saw him making nasty attacks on a couple of Hubbers yesterday, which I thought was out of character.  I thought at the time, he's heading for a ban. Remember, most bans are only for a few days to give the culprit a chance to cool down - it's not permanent.  You can only be banned permanently if you repeatedly offend, multiple times.

I did offer to do so, despite being told that our policy is fascistic.

I don't reckon that hubbers think you are fascistic- whatever they might say. They think you are their Mom (or maybe older sister) and are just downright unreasonable for complaining when they break their toys over the other kid's heads.

I think some Hubbers think of me as the evil stepmother, but some definitely think I'm "The Man."  There are some pretty amazing conspiracy theories around myself and HubPages as a whole.  I'm not whining about it.  I signed up for it when I took this job. 

(For the record, my mum thinks it's hilarious that a major part of my job has to do with rules enforcement, since I was... ahem... not the model child.)

1. sofs profile image76
              sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What a thankless job moderating the forums must be.. I just wanted to say that I appreciate all the efforts you  Maddie Ruud and the HP staff put in to make life  easy and pleasant for everyone here!! Thank you Law enforcement officer !! lol

2. Joy56 profile image67
              Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

aha so you are getting your own back on us....... it is your mum's fault.

11. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 13 years ago

I have not yet gone through that email account for today. If you did subsequently offer to do this, than thank you; I will pass the details to you.

The first message I received was abrupt, hectoring, unpleasant and did not take any account of the circumstances nor make any such offers. It is hardly surprising I reacted in similar vein.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a poorly written message programmed into some computer some time in the past to be spat out automatically at offenders when a moderator's finger pressed the button.

12. talfonso profile image84
    talfonsoposted 12 years ago

I got my question recently removed too, but this discussion gave me quite a lift! Thanks for this useful advice!

13. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I see a lot of questions that would belong on MyLot or Yahoo answers rather than here. I agree, they are meant to inspire hubs not ask a question that belongs on Dear Abby.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)