jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (15 posts)

Content Farms lose 75% Traffic. Online Publishers Gain 50%

1. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 6 years ago

This article says:

"Google-generated traffic to each dropped more than 75%, according to software firm Sistrix."

"The biggest beneficiaries seem to be originators of what Google calls "high-quality" content, which the company defines as "information such as research, in-depth reports, thoughtful analysis and so on." Traffic to sites that belong to the Online Publishers Association grew between 5% and 50% the day after Google's tweak, according to Pam Horan, president of the OPA."

http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/08/technol … /index.htm

Also, herewith table showing whose traffic has increased...

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?hl= … utput=html

1. earnestshub profile image89
      earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Sophia, I got lost in there for a while, lots of good articles. smile

2. recommend1 profile image71
      recommend1posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Very useful information and confirms what I have been saying all along about what is penalised and what is seen as ok. 

However, on the description "information such as research, in-depth reports, thoughtful analysis and so on"  How they can dicover how 'thoughtful' an article is with a googlebot would be intesting to see.  The bots can count, compare and match, Google can evaluate links from one site that has a Google value to another -  but how thoughtful, I don't think so.

1. Mark Knowles profile image62
        Mark Knowlesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes - but they can measure certain things such as time on page, bounce rate, other pages viewed, do the searchers go back and repeat the search, etc. I have collected a bunch of opinions here - http://markpknowles.com/panda-update-go … -part-two/

And there is an awful lot of poor speculation being touted as fact. The worst offender is Business Insider. And they are the front page of Google for "panda update" no quotation marks. sad

1. recommend1 profile image71
          recommend1posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Interesting perspective on it all, far more sound than any of the array of strange views we have been seeing in these threads the last few weeks.

1. Mark Knowles profile image62
            Mark Knowlesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The only one I have much respect for is the SEO moz post.

2. profile image0
        Sophia Angeliqueposted 6 years ago in reply to this

recommend1, yes, agreed. Who's to say what is good and what is not.

3. besthubs profile image79
      besthubsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Google have a bad move. The end-users will get the information with no value or just from wiki, ehow and random domain. I lose about 70% of traffic. Now Google dominate 62% of SE, and more than 30% from Bing and Yahoo( Bill Gates). I will do not rely on Big G any more. Within two months, they change their algorithm, I do not know what they are doing?

1. profile image0

Perhaps. But it will still take them a while to get there. Most people don't have a business on the net. They just sue it for social networking and movies, etc. It will take time for people to gradually switch to other search engines. Change will come, but it will take time. Not two months...

2. TomC35 profile image62
        TomC35posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Look at your English.  You do not see part of the problem?

Even for people do write well written, well researched articles on Hubpages, the fact remains they will be dragged down by the high percent of poorly written material.  Since Hubpages does not edit content (basically anyone can post anything) it will not be taken seriously.

2. CMHypno profile image89
    CMHypnoposted 6 years ago

Trouble is, when you search for something it doesn't quite work out like that. These days you really have to forage for decent research information, so it doesn't really seem to be panning out the way Google says it is? sad

3. Richieb799 profile image61
    Richieb799posted 6 years ago

Perhaps they should allow Hubpages into the Online Publishers Association?

1. profile image0

I took a look at Online Publishers Association. No ways can HP even begin to compete.... I don't think. It's people like Reuters, CNN, National Geographic. About.com is on it. I took a look at what is required to write for about.com. Um...

2. tritrain profile image76
      tritrainposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Geez, look at the benefits.  HubPages should try to join as a Publisher Member.

http://www.online-publishers.org/index. … her_member

4. thisisoli profile image54
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

In regards to bounce rate etc, Google is limited in how they can analyse this data since Google Search is separated from Google Analytics (no data is passed between).

working