jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)

following etiquette

1. NaturalMomma profile image60
    NaturalMommaposted 5 years ago

If someone follows you - is it sort of unspoken that you're supposed to follow them back? On some sites (twitter comes to mind) it's a kind of good etiquette to follow someone who follows you. Do people feel thats the case on hubpages?

1. PaulaHenry1 profile image69
      PaulaHenry1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I follow people I'm truly interested in for their writings...not as a friendly gesture. Just me tho...

2. 0
      Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There are two cultures on HubPages in parallel. The ones that follow to be followed; the ones that follow out of interest. Eventually, you find out what Hubbers belong in which camp. I follow very few Hubbers.

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Follow whoever you want to follow. Even on Twitter, I only follow those I want to follow, or that have similar networking interests.
      Sometimes I will read a new followers hub and rate it up or send a hub on the hub feed.. but don't feel you must reciprocate with a follow.
      I follow all kinds of writers because I enjoy reading different kinds of topics. And if they haven't written in the past few months, I usually quit following. There's simply no way to follow everyone even though there are many very good and interesting people here.

4. Cagsil profile image84
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

People usually follow those whom they read or have an interest in reading. People usually do not read something they have no interest in.

Some people like to play the follow me I'll follow you game. And, it does increase your follower base, but does not necessarily increase your readership.

I follow people I like to read. Most have a refreshing view to hear about and some are quirky in their thinking, but seem like good people. I follow people I have common ground with also. wink

5. Daffy Duck profile image60
      Daffy Duckposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you click to follow someone but don't actually follow the it will hurt your score.  Don't worry about hurting someones' feelings by not following them.  If you like their hubs then follow, if you don't then don't folloow.

6. chasemillis profile image89
      chasemillisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Honestly, when I first started Hubpages, I thought that I should follow everyone who follow me, but now I don't do it because I don't want to give false hope to people, in a sense. I don't read a whole lot, in most cases I just skim things, so I am probably not going to read what everyone posts.

I remember the first few weeks that I started Hubpages when I was Super excited for everyone who followed me. Now, I'm happy to have people follow me, but I don't know if they are just following me just to follow me, so I try to not worry about it a lot.

I don't think that you need to follow someone if they follow you because if you never keep up with them or check out their Hubs and other things etc, then what is the point - essentially nothing

off topic side note - Why does the autocorrect say that Hubpages is spelled wrong...? hmm

1. 0

Actually, HubPages - not Hubpages - is how it is spelled and capitalized. Your software wouldn't be familiar with the term either way. Add it to the custom dictionary, if available.

7. J Sunhawk profile image83
      J Sunhawkposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Cats seem to follow me, so I follow people who write about cats. That's how I use the "follow" rule.

2. lrohner profile image83
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

Agreed with Paula. I only follow people who write things I'm interested in. Otherwise, what's the point?

3. tenaciousgui profile image61
    tenaciousguiposted 5 years ago

I think it's much better if you follow the people whose subject interests you rather than out of etiquette. You could post a comment or something for them? I think that should suffice.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

I don't follow everyone who follows me here and i certainly don't on Twitter.

5. mcimicata profile image60
    mcimicataposted 5 years ago

I usually follow somebody if I like what they write, and how they write it. On occasion I will follow somebody because they have followed me, and they have been really kind to me.

6. NaturalMomma profile image60
    NaturalMommaposted 5 years ago

makes sense to me! thanks!

7. mdlawyer profile image62
    mdlawyerposted 5 years ago

It is part of etiquette that if someone follows you and leaves comments on your hubs, reciprocate as a gesture of courtesy.  But many hubbers do not follow the norm.

1. 0

I respectfully disagree that such an etiquette or norm exists.

8. Rosie2010 profile image83
    Rosie2010posted 5 years ago

I used to follow back everyone who was nice enough to follow me and/or read my hubs and leave me comments. I am not a professional writer like most people here, and so I was thrilled that some people like what I write.  I just stumbled upon Hubpages while trying to figure out Squidoo and I like it here better.  But as my following increases, I am finding it difficult to follow everyone's work.  So I'm not following back... for now.  I have to get off my computer once in a while.. or run the risk of hemorrhoid flare-up. lol

1. chasemillis profile image89
      chasemillisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

haha this picture is hilarious!