jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (12 posts)

Is it even worth it anymore?

1. PaulaHenry1 profile image69
    PaulaHenry1posted 5 years ago

I write for people to enjoy and maybe make some $, but when no one is reading my Hubs is it worth it? I was on the first page of Google search for quite sometime with 2 of my Hubs, now when I search they are no where! (went as far as page 11 and gave up)-
    Is Hubpages done for? How on Earth can Answers.com stand tall while HP's is crawling and gasping for air!

2. CMHypno profile image89
    CMHypnoposted 5 years ago

It is very frustrating, but I think that we need some patience here.

The internet is a dynamic place and will always keep changing, so we will all have to learn to adapt to the changes

I really do not think that HubPages is done for, but it maybe that individual hubbers decide to leave or stop writing for their own reasons. smile

3. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

My mode has changed as to online writing. I will now only do it when I am in the mood and it is fun. However, as far as I’m concerned, to hell with it when it feels like work. smile

4. sofs profile image87
    sofsposted 5 years ago

I write because I love too, not to please anyone or anything, Google included smile I did hope to get something out of this.. well if it doesn't happen.. go slow may be the strategy..smile

Knowing the pulse HP has introduced the completions at the right time to improve quality and quantity.. Hopefully the situation will improve smile

5. Mutiny92 profile image87
    Mutiny92posted 5 years ago

I feel your pain.  I doubt I will make 20% of what I did pre-Panda. 

The good news is that I have learned a lot about writing on the internet, and I will be spending more time writing for my own sites.  Hopefully, I learned enough...At the end of the day, it is good to diversify, but it doesn't make this any easier.

I hope HP management publishes more frequent updates on how their changes have caused improvements in the SERPs.  I also hope that there is quantifiable testing going behind the scenes:

1) Taking a sample of hubs and reducing the number of ads to see if that makes a difference in the SERPs

2) Eliminating the other leaks (like "related forum posts" to see it that results in changes

3) Whether 50 words/user generated product ad is better than 20 or 100.

4) IDing what other on-page factors may be impacting the google rankings

5) Determining if the Panda changes are across-the-board penalizing UGC aggregation websites with dissimilar topics...Is this a punishment for ALL "content farms?"  If not, then what are the particular factors that allowed one to weather the storm better than the next?

Most importantly, additional communication to the community about what is going on - even if there are no hard and fast answers to give - would be appreciated.

6. Dale Nelson profile image31
    Dale Nelsonposted 5 years ago

Hi Paula Henry,

I agree.

It seems every time I log in, there it is. Another pink stripe saying needs revision.

I started revising amazon capsules with patience, but now I delete amazon entirely, after that, even though its all original content, it still comes up with another reason to revise.

I wrote it already - get it. Why write it again.

Go figure.

I have now got to a point where if it needs revision, its gets nuked entirely to the bottomless depth of the deleted hubs pit, because it is just not worth the effort for the reward value for me.

I know have two websites and counting........this year,
    where linking and writing for those is just that much more rewarding now than hubpages.

Wow that felt good..
    but yes it is frustrating indeed.

7. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 5 years ago

For what it's worth, even though my traffic is in the dumps, I still managed to earn about fifteen bucks yesterday.

which is still kind of tragic but at least it is not 100% awful.

8. daybreak profile image63
    daybreakposted 5 years ago

I found this post after publishing by first new hub since panda hit.

I can understand why so many of us are dis-heartened and the losses go way beyond hubpages.

For those that have a passion for publishing content and perhaps want to earn income as a part of that, I can say that taking the plunge and starting your own site may be worthwhile if you have a solid niche and can build on it.

The downside is that you may have to wait a year or more in order to see a return. Having patience, and not giving up is the hardest part of website ownership.

Hopefully hp and other web 2.0 sites will still be beneficial, but diversification is almost always a good idea.

9. Mrvoodoo profile image61
    Mrvoodooposted 5 years ago

'Is it even worth it anymore?'

Not at all. No.  Every time I manage to get a hub republished, another two are unpublished in its place.  Traffic has vanished.  Earnings have gone with it.  Overall, the last two years of writing here at HP, I consider to have been pretty much a waste of my time.

1. PaulaHenry1 profile image69
      PaulaHenry1posted 5 years ago in reply to this

It's unfortunate isn't it.....but I will wait it out a bit longer. Mostly because I really dont know what else to do. Patience is a hard value to have...mine is running thin.

10. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 5 years ago

All I can say is hang in there. All of this will come to pass , stay positive it will be o.k. smile

11. Ritsos profile image66
    Ritsosposted 5 years ago

I'm going to hang around though before I was writing exclusively here but now I'm diversifying