jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

This hub needs serious help, please.

1. 0
    daflaposted 8 years ago

This hub was an answer to a request long, long ago.  I know it's a topic some people would need to read, but I don't feel like it says what it should, or it's too short, doesn't have enough examples, whatever.  Anyway, it's never done very well, and I'd like to know why.

1. ProCW profile image83
      ProCWposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Hmm... the title... Could the two sentences be combined?

"How to blog even if you're a bad typist."

Just a thought... smile

Also, you could add a section on how to improve bad typing habits and possibly link to a few typing sites...

mavisbeacon... a broderbund product... http://www.broderbund.com/jump.jsp?item … e=CATEGORY

Add typist and bad typist to your tag section... smile

Good luck!

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

Hi dafla

I often find that I use a request to create a title, then once the Hub is done, the title doesn't quite fit.  That might be the case here - Iwonder whether the Hub should be about not writing well, rather than not typing well?

I also think it would be an idea to explain the downside of duplicate content more clearly - you don't make it clear that it can be penalised by the search engines.  Some careless readers could take that paragraph as carte blanche to go and steal articles, so I would create a highlighted text capsule where you emphasise they must only use articles that are specifically labelled as free - anything else is plagiarism.

Personally I think a Hub always looks better with a picture, and remember that if you have a picture in the top right-hand corner, it shows up next to the Hub title in searches.  You could use a picture of a dictionary, or someone typing.

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image79
      Ryan Hupferposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Totally agree with you here Marisa. Duplicates are definitely looked down on when it comes to how search engines take a look at your content. Originally written content, especially here on HubPages, is the only way to go in my book.

One other thing to realize is that blogging is much different than Hubbing when it comes to what subjects you're dealing with and the tone that you use when you write about them.

Basically, here's how it breaks down:

Blogging: More personal and conversational (smaller and more personal audience of interest)
      Hubbing: More topical and informative (larger and searchable audience of interest)

Also, I would like to maybe hear about video/audio podcasting and other technology options that these non-writers could utilize.

3. ProCW profile image83
    ProCWposted 8 years ago

Hey... also I just noticed that you have an RSS down below with no feed coming through and it's delivering the message "No RSS URL was specified." I don't know if this effects traffic in the slightest, but I thought I'd let you know anyway. smile

1. 0
      daflaposted 8 years ago in reply to this

My RSS is with Feedburner, and it won't take here for some reason. I haven't worked on it lately.

1. Inspirepub profile image90
        Inspirepubposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I believe Fawntia is onto that problem, if not now, then Real Soon ...

4. 0
    daflaposted 8 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.  I'll start working on updating it soon.  I've been working on the title thing, and have actually changed the titles of some of my hubs and blog posts.  ProBlogger had some good tips on that.

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image79
      Ryan Hupferposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Glad that we could help....yet another satisfied Hubber!

Great teamwork, everyone. smile