jump to last post 1-21 of 21 discussions (34 posts)

Has anybody hopped hubs today?

1. Charlu profile image84
    Charluposted 6 years ago

I don't know if it's me or what but I've not seen that many poor (and I mean poor quality hubs ever! Duplicating their own content, no writing just three pictures, extremely limited content opposed to links, etc.  What's going on? I mean there are a few great ones but I'm shocked and I normally don't criticize anybodies writing but I mean come on. 

Sorry for my 2 cents, but I've never flagged a hub before until today. And there is one in there that I actually put a comment on because following  their instructions if they were new could get somebody HURT

1. Rosie2010 profile image83
      Rosie2010posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I hopped earlier today, and found the same low quality hubs, some duplicates, a couple of just a list of somethings (omg!), bad grammar and spellings.  I used to be very lenient in flagging specially on new hubbers as I'm relatively new myself, but if we don't flag their work now they will just continue publishing the same low quality hubs and that's not good.  So just be firm and flag.  You are doing them a favour in the long run.

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
        Jean Bakulaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think the quality of the hub writing in the contest winners is low. The rules said they wanted maps and graphs, and that's what wins. I've seen two terrible hubs on  EGGS. We were given a list of topics about two weeks ago that the administration feels have been covered to death, and recipes was one of them. I have read excellent hubs that have lost to crappy uninteresting ones. I don't understand it.

1. L.L. Woodard profile image88
          L.L. Woodardposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi Jean,
          Can you point me in the direction of the information on topics that have been too heavily covered? I can't seem to find the info and am interested to see what it says.

2. Adventure Colorad profile image87
    Adventure Coloradposted 6 years ago

The quality will always fluctuate, it's possible with the writing contest going on, some people might just be trying to get as many hubs published as fast as they can.

3. Charlu profile image84
    Charluposted 6 years ago

Thanks I don't like doing it and no offense to them I'm not a great writer or anything but come on at least read the guidelines or something.  I looked at the profiles and they were all new new. One had been with HP 12 hours and published 4 hubs. I wish I could do that smile

4. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

I just did. Found this in a hub about Jackie Robinson:

"Breaking the blush barrier, Jackie Robinson became the aboriginal African-American to comedy in baseball's above leagues. The youngest of bristles children, Robinson was aloft in about abjection by a distinct mother."

Find the hub, it'll make your day smile

1. theherbivorehippi profile image83
      theherbivorehippiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol...what, you don't understand this?  smile It almost makes more sense if you read every third word.  Maybe it's a code?

lol

5. profile image0
    Digsposted 6 years ago

Making constructive comments about anothers writing is useful.  Anyone posting Hubs without regard to grammar or appropriate content, is bad for Hubpages and anyone writing on the site.

Constructive criticism is always useful.  Anyway, do not feel bad for expecting that other writers show respect for the craft.

6. Charlu profile image84
    Charluposted 6 years ago

OK all I can say is WOW and I do mean WOW  What ???
    Thanks Uninvited Writer you were right made my day:)smile

7. WriteAngled profile image93
    WriteAngledposted 6 years ago

When I hop, I end up flagging about 90% of what passes across my eyes.

8. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

Lots of copied material today.  Including one from a hubber with nearly 700 hubs, most of which appear to be copied.  Many of them several times.

I feel sorry for such writers.  Good hubs, reasonably well written and informative, but written when duplication was acceptable.  Now they have a problem, especially as many of the sites where their duplicate work is posted also require original content.

9. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 6 years ago

I can honestly say I have not hopped any hubs today. sad

10. wheelinallover profile image80
    wheelinalloverposted 6 years ago

There is no doubt in my mind someone is hopping tonight. My newest article was clicked on two times within 10 minutes of posting.
    I sure hope it wasn't by the one who flags 90% of what she reads. LOL I personally am not in the mood to look at bad work. One thing I can say for sure mine was built from the Swiss cheese within my mind.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well, today I probably flagged 80 or 90 percent, but I very much doubt that yours was one of them.  You write good stuff.

1. wheelinallover profile image80
        wheelinalloverposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I wonder how many people understand my way of writing. I found it is easy to do "boring" so always try to pull from past experience. There are "morals" or "lessons" also in about everything I write, I don't know how that happened but it is almost always there.
        Thanks for the compliment and I will try to publish all my boring stuff somewhere else. LOL

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You're welcome - you've earned it.

11. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 6 years ago

Just went hub hopping and I do have to say there was truly some really great work in there. So the hopper appears to be changing. smile

1. Barbara Kay profile image85
      Barbara Kayposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I hopped later tonight too and only saw one hub that wasn't of good quality.

1. AEvans profile image72
        AEvansposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Me too. smile We both agree there are some great hubs out there. smile

12. Charlu profile image84
    Charluposted 6 years ago

Hopped some hubs this morning and the difference was night and day. Some really good stuff. I don't know what happened but I'm pleased to see the change.

Oh I almost forgot in reference to the hub viewed twice in 10 minutes sometimes when I'm hopping if I read something I really like I go to the profile page and check out some of the other hubs. Then when I go back to hopping it starts off again with the one I was on. I don't know if that counts as two, if it does sorry.

Now I need to go write. Have an incredible day

1. kmackey32 profile image79
      kmackey32posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Not yet but I guess I will...

13. Donnacha C profile image81
    Donnacha Cposted 6 years ago

I`ve hopped today, and it`s a bit of a mixed bag of good and bad....a lot of commercial stuff, and not enough articles written purely for the joy of the writer....

14. Mark Ewbie profile image83
    Mark Ewbieposted 6 years ago

Plenty of garbage I'm seeing.  8 hubs, 8 flagged.

You have to look a little harder sometimes to see the spun garbage, the writing that at first sight makes sense but actually it doesn't.

Maybe I just got unlucky.

15. Laura du Toit profile image90
    Laura du Toitposted 6 years ago

I did some hub hopping and I honestly just cannot believe the low quality garbage that people have the confidence to publish! These low quality hubs can only do Hubpages harm and we have a duty to both HP and ourselves to flag these hubs. It just feels asif they are publishing this rubbish faster than we can flag! smile

16. Charlu profile image84
    Charluposted 6 years ago

When I hopped it seemed as though the really bad, as in 3 pictures no writing, or the exact same hub published twice (I actually checked) are written by those who have literally been with HP for less than 24 hours. Maybe someone should start checking them before they're published.  I know a couple places that do that especially when you just start writing for them. Or am I way out of the ball park here. 

I just hate to see that kind of work go out, it makes us all look bad.

????????   What to do???????

I agree with you, Charlu.  When I see a low quality hub, I usually check out the writer and I find most, if not all, their hubs are low quality, and end up flagging them all... and most of these low quality hubs come from new hubbers who have been with HP for a few hours.  Some are just plainly promoting their sites.  It is obvious, HP needs to pre-approve new hubbers' work... at least the first 2-3 publications.

17. Charlu profile image84
    Charluposted 6 years ago

Rosie you are right about them just promoting sites and lets face it they're just trying to find somewhere they can keep publishing and reeling people in for the $$$$ 
    By the way doublewide69 was hysterical  Thanks

Isn't it?  I'm guessing doublewide69 is a guy!  He is hilarious!

18. Azure11 profile image88
    Azure11posted 6 years ago

Oh dear, have been hubhopping a fair bit but just did a bunch after reading this thread and think I reported at least 50% of them. Spun, duplicate and overly promotional mostly. We need to get rid of this stuff, no wonder we were hit by Panda.

19. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 6 years ago

Azure, I have done the same today and have flagged well over half of what I have seen for the same reasons today! I hop quite a lot if I have a bored 5 mins, today has been particularly bad!

20. BobbiRant profile image60
    BobbiRantposted 6 years ago

So, with the contests, when a lot of people are trying to get as many hubs published as they can, then this leads to many low quality hubs.  So if a large bunch of lower quality hubs pops up due to time constraints, doesn't that contribute to Google not placing this site and the hubs, on the higher ranking side?  Seems like the contests defeat the purpose of getting over or recovering from Google 'slap.'  I mean I see a group of hubs covering the Same thins (topic wise) over and over.  How would those help HP ranking?

21. earnestshub profile image88
    earnestshubposted 6 years ago

I just did my hopping late in the day, and found it to be cleaner than is usual. I also flagged a nutter who left a post who is obviously insane. smile

working