jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Bounce Rate in Google Analytics

1. Marie McKeown profile image94
    Marie McKeownposted 5 years ago

Hi, I'm relatively new to Hubpages and just recently got myself signed up to Google Analytics. Can anyone explain what 'bounce rate ' means, and how to improve it?

Also - I have quite a few page views with 0.00 secs, what is that about? I can understand if someone navigates away if my hub wasn't really what they were looking for but surely it takes a least a few seconds to decide that?

Any advice welcomed!

2. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

It's not terribly important on HP, but there are a few older forum threads and a hub which may help you understand. Pcunix has an excellent hub on bounce rate. He can explain it much better than I can. http://hubpages.com/hub/The-truth-about-Bounce-Rate
    You can click on his images to see the details more clearly.

You can find more info here:

You write some very nice hubs!

3. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

I think PCUnix's explanation is more applicable to an independent website and not for a specific writer on HP.

A "bounce" is basically someone who comes here, reads one page and then leaves.

If you had an entire website devoted to purple dogs with long pink hair, and a majority of visitors came to your website, read one page and then left, it would be troubling. Either the visitors expected something else when they originally came to your site and/or the page they landed on wasn't giving them what they wanted.

Here on HP, each page is a standalone article that should fulfill the reader's needs on its own and may or may not be related to other pages on the site. A high bounce rate is expected, unless you write in a certain niche only and interrlink your hubs properly.

I write on a variety of unrelated topics. My bounce rate is usually 90% or higher. It's expected and has not hurt my earnings at all.

4. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

I think his article can be helpful for anyone as he does explain reasons for bounces, as with tabbed browsing. A page can still be open and someone may have left to get a drink or opened a new tab, but it will show as a bounce. I do that often, as I usually have a number of pages open at a time.

5. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

On HP bounces are no problem.  Open the page page+click ad=make money.

6. Marie McKeown profile image94
    Marie McKeownposted 5 years ago

Thanks everyone, your replies have been very helpful - and reassuring!!