jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

My first Hub

1. 60
    SteveAstonposted 5 years ago

Its not exactly Shakespeare but I figured after a week of reading some would say procrastinating) it was time to dip my toe in the water so to speak.

Any and all constructive comments welcomed.

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There's some great advice here already! I think the buzz word at the moment is 'long tail'. If you search for Wizard 101 on Google you get 20 million results - very hard to get the top ranking on that one.

"Wizard 101 tips and tricks" gets you down to 400k

"tips for selecting primary school in wizard 101" get 176k

So the more targeted and refined a title has the less sites you will find on a search engine. It's difficult and Google Adword tools are essential to find the niche, but the effort is worth it!

2. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

i left a comment..looks like a good start!

3. 60

Thanks for the comment, looks like I'll be finding a few pictures.  Any suggestions on where they're likely to be best recieved.

4. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

these are copyrighted so add some amazon and eBay products if you are an affiliate.

5. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

Great job on your first hub, and welcome to HubPages!

I agree with the comment Simey left on your hub. A few screenshots would do wonders.

I also wonder what keyword you're going after here. I mean, "Wizard 101" is fairly obvious, but I would think that would be a terribly difficult keyword to rank for in the search engines. you should go read up on researching and selecting keywords--hubs by Skyfire, Darkforged, Thisisoli, Peter Hoggan, Mark Knowles and Sunforged come to mind.

I would bet (but could be terribly wrong) that you might do better by going after a longer tail keyword, like "how to play wizard 101," "wizard 101 characters" or something like that.

Again, great job!

1. 60
      SteveAstonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Good shouts all, I'll look at adding a few screenshots today (although I'm slightly concerned about the potential copyright ramifications thereof.)

I'm also in the process of adding a few more specific keywords and will definitely be reading some of the work by the hubbers you mention.

6. 60

I've added a few more keywords (will add more as I come up with them.) and added a few pictures.

Personally I think it looks much better but I'm not the expert.

1. lrohner profile image85
      lrohnerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Wow! Huge difference! Looks good. smile

1. 60

Thanks for the quick reply, I suppose I should get around to writing a profile at some stage.

7. LeanMan profile image83
    LeanManposted 5 years ago

The hub itself looks ok, especially for a first attempt, however look at your summary;
    this is currently based on your first few lines of your hub and says nothing at all about the subject of your hub, as far as SEO and people understanding the purpose of your hub is concerned it's not too good! (have a look at your profile, click more against your hub listings and you will see what I mean)
    Go into edit and you will see "summary" in the tabs where the order of your capsules are displayed on the right hand side, rewrite it to reflect the subject of your hub, include your keywords, title etc but make it read naturally.
    good luck, I hope you can follow what I just said, never been too good at giving directions to things on web pages..

1. 60

Another good shout, I hadn't even realised that the system automatically generates a summary.  I'll take a look and edit as appropriate.

(edited, hopefully the summary reads a little better now.)

8. 60

If I'm reading my account page correctly (quite possible I'm not, first time hubber and all that) it appears my hub has been marked for revision.

I've checked my email, including spam folder, can anyone tell me if I've been unpublished, and if so let me know how I find out what needs changing.

(Damn newbies, I know :p )