jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

I am dipping my toes in the water - can you tell me if this one's ok?

1. 60
    MacGillivrayposted 8 years ago

Hi, I have only just started making inroads into the wealth og possibilities on hubpages;  I love the software and the ability to quickly publish stuff.  However, I need some kind folks to keep me on the right track -

I just published a hub page - http://hubpages.com/hub/Travel-to-Hawaii - and I wondered if you'd care to critique it. 

2. Fawntia profile image
    Fawntiaposted 8 years ago

I really like the photos that you included, and you write very well. My only thought for improving your hub involves being more specific. If you wrote a hub about a specific city or resort in Hawaii, for example, then you might get more Google traffic. The problem with writing on such a general topic is that there is already a lot of great content about Hawaii out there, so you stand less of a chance of ranking well in search results. Just a thought, though.

If you want to read more about this, check out Paul Edmondson's hub How To Find a Niche to Write About.

Also, I noticed that your "Vacation deals" link contains a typo. Might want to fix that!

3. 60

Hi, Fawntia - thanks for your reply.  I went straight away to correct the link error yikes) - and after a couple of efforts, I got the format to work correctly.

After your critique, I see what you mean about being more specific about a city/town - so I'll go on to develop that.

I do appreciate your help.

4. Lissie profile image86
    Lissieposted 8 years ago

Hi and welcome to hubpages.  To be honest at the moment your reads a bit like 2 short articles with some nice photos in the middle.  Your title "travel to Hawaii" but then you specifically talk about water based activities and restaraunts in Honalulu - I was expecting options on getting to Hawaii - flights or cruises maybe. 
    Your tags are too general - go for 2/3 word phrases to get the long tail e.g.. "dining options Honolulu" "learn to surf Hawaii" - but basically I think you need to either write a long over-view type article with maybe more specific hubs linked to later or write a very specific hub on a specific subject titled appropriately e.g. Eating on Out in Honalulu - Tourist Guide something like that. 
    Also  I would add more out bound links - at the bottom of the hub to authoritative sites e.g. state tourism board, wikipedia - google likes that
    Oh and add a news feed  or an ebay capsule so the hub updates automatically

5. 60

Hi, Lissie - thanks for your comments;  you're making me get my thinking cap on again.  I'll set aside some time in the next few days to re-think the focus of this page and make it better.

6. Ryan Hupfer profile image80
    Ryan Hupferposted 8 years ago

I agree with Fawntia, the topic of 'traveling to Hawaii' has over a few million results on Google, which means that it would be pretty tough to get any type of ranking with it.

By picking some smaller, more niche topics you have a way better chance of getting found by the Google powers-to-be.

Just think about some of the things that you might potentially search for if you were traveling to Hawaii. Thinks like:

- Specific places to eat
    - Specific types of things to go see
    - Specific things that are interesting about each island

Does this make sense?

Also, you should add a profile image when you get a chance...we can't see you! smile