hubs better with or without photos?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (26 posts)
  1. optimus grimlock profile image62
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

Since the changes I've had 20 hubs taken down because of pixaled photos. It doesnt matter how many sources I use it's still the same result. For these hubs I've taken the photos off will this hurt the traffic or not really?

1. profile image57
      SteveAstonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm brand new to this (been here a week and published one hub) so feel free to ignore this.

The original version of my hub had one youtube video and no pictures, the first (and to date only 2) comments from long term hubbers suggested adding screen shots of the subject.

I did, in my opinion it's made a difference and the feedback I've got since has suggested the same.  Apologies if this sounds like I'm just trying to promote my own work, but what I think I'm saying is that a well placed relevant picture is worth a thousand words.

2. M. T. Dremer profile image84
      M. T. Dremerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would argue that having good photos is beneficial because 1- it catches the reader's eye (usually on hubpages, not necessarily search engines) and 2- it helps to break up the text, making the article easier to read. Or, in the case of a how-to, it gives people a visual to follow in addition to the text. Personally I use a combination of stock photos and photoshop created images for my articles. Very rarely will I take a picture found elsewhere online. The chances of someone getting mad are just too high. If you're not sure where to get stock photos, you can do a search for sites that sell them. And, if you don't want to purchase any, you can often collect free ones that show up from week to week. (I've been collecting free stock photos for years now and have a pretty descent catalog to pull from each time I write a hub.) Also, if you don't want to do any of that, I've seen other hubbers creating original artwork in programs as simple as MS paint. As long as it gets the point across, then it's okay to use.

3. Daffy Duck profile image59
      Daffy Duckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What I do is I put pictures in at full width at first to see how they look.  If they don't look whole then I go down to half and then quarter width if necessary.  The important thing is is that they look whole.

4. darkside profile image67
      darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Where are you getting the images from?

5. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hubs look better with photos, and the images give you an extra way to be noticed by search engines, if you use captions.  Images are also good to break up the text and make it more readable. So yes, Hubs are better with photos.

If all your photos look pixelated, it's probably because you're trying to use photos you're not allowed to.

ALL photos on the internet are copyright UNLESS there's a statement to say otherwise.  Many websites use watermarks or keep their images low quality so others can't steal them - those might be the ones you're trying to use.

A lot of people try to get photos from stock photo websites and think "royalty free" means free.  It doesn't - the photo you can copy is pixelated, you have to pay for the real photo.

Get your photos from  Flickr, but make sure you only use photos that are legal to copy (use the Advanced Search and click "Creative Commons" and "for commercial use" to get the ones you're allowed to use).  I wrote a Hub on how to do it, if you need more help.

2. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Original pictures and videos are always the best.

3. mdlawyer profile image45
    mdlawyerposted 13 years ago

For organic search results, the presence of photos may not have much effect. But when a visitor reads a content, relevant photos will have a positive effect. It is better to limit the number of photos and concentrate on the quality of the verbal content.

1. Richieb799 profile image75
      Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I usually limit mine to 4-5 photos.. It is common knowledge that people are favouring visual and video content on the web because it is easier than reading. If you have these on your hub people will be captivated by them and want to read more, your keywording will bring organic traffic

4. skear profile image93
    skearposted 13 years ago

I think hubs are much better if they have images.  I find hubs with large amounts of text and no images difficult to read. 

I also think that images might keep a reader more interested in the hub.  The longer viewers stick around on a hub the better the chances are they will click an ad.

5. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Adding some good photos that enhance the reader’s visit will entice the reader that much closer to clicking the Like button. That is a good thing. smile

6. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 13 years ago

I love pictures on articles I read, specially if the article is long.  So I also add pictures to my hubs and it seems to work for me.  My readers often leave me a comment saying they enjoyed reading my hub and loved the pictures, too.  So, that is a good sign, isn't it?  If the problem is pixelated photos, just used half width or quarter width to show your photos.  I hope this helps.

7. Trish_M profile image80
    Trish_Mposted 13 years ago

Hi smile

I prefer to see articles that are broken up. Too many words in one 'lump' can be difficult to read.

Using photographs to do this is doubly good ~ provided the photos are of good quality, of course.

Quality photos enhance hubs in many ways ~ and are attractive in their own right.

Pixilated photos, however, do not enhance an article ~ rather, they irritate the reader.

Making pictures smaller can often help.smile

8. sylviastone29 profile image60
    sylviastone29posted 13 years ago

I prefer to watch a vedio because it is more attrative and vivid. So something relevant to images is better!

9. mdlawyer profile image45

It all depends on the topic you write about.  For some topics quality verbal content with minimum, relevant and illustrative images will be most appropriate.

10. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 13 years ago

I try to find a picture for each hub, because I understand that is what one is supposed to do.

For myself, pictures are mostly totally irrelevant. Yes, I want to see a picture if, for example, I am reading about a place I might want to visit, or a painter, or subjects along those lines.

Otherwise, I find words much more useful in conveying information. Whenever I get a manual or other instruction sheet that relies heavily on diagrams, I throw it away immediately, as I can never relate what is in front of me to the diagram.

As for videos, I HATE webinars and other teaching videos. Again, I want words, so that I can go backwards and forwards through the material as I wish and at my own pace.

11. mdlawyer profile image45

Yes, WriteAngled, that's what I have said.  The topic, the purpose and the expected audience: these are the deciding factors about the  medium of the communication.

12. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 13 years ago

There are visual people and there are verbal people.

Unfortunately, verbal people seem to be a minority and their preferences are currently being swept away in deference to preferences of the visual people.

1. Aficionada profile image79
      Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree to some extent.

But I consider myself a verbal person too (mostly) and yet, if a writer's words don't do a good job of conveying an image, a visual image can supplement or even explain to me what the words were intended to mean. IMO that is a problem with that specific writer's craft. There are some writers who just don't do well at describing a visual image. And too, there are some visuals that are simply more difficult to describe in words.

But the bottom line for me is that we don't know which type our readers are - verbal or visual? And so, if we want to appeal to both and provide content that speaks to both, it is more helpful to have images as well as clear, specific, well-chosen words.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What I meant was that verbal, not very visual, people are becoming less and less catered for.

For example, someone does a webinar, but will not provide a written transcript for those who are happier with that format. It gets me incandescent with rage, especially when the webinar simply consists of a video of someone's face talking at the camera, or, even worse, reading out text that is showing on the screen - about 10 times as slowly as I would read it myself! Aaaaarrrgghhhhhh!

Or my other bugbear: a printer manual with pictures on how to change a cartridge, for example. No words. I don't even know where in the printer I should be looking, and the fact that some tab or other should be pulled away is lost on me (until someone else tells me) because I don't recognise that is being portrayed somewhere in the pictures.

And the use of blasted icons on switches, instead of simple-to-understand descriptions like "on", "off", "pause" etc. I can never remember which icon does what, especially since I tend only to use gadgets every few weeks or less frequently. As a result, I tend to give up on most of them, because I can no longer remember how to operate them, and nothing on the device itself helps me with that.

1. Aficionada profile image79
          Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good point!

My bugbear is the icons in elevators.  I never can remember which one means to open and which one means to close - not very useful in an emergency!

13. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Well, I can't read, so need pictures to tell me what the hub is about wink

1. Rosie2010 profile image67
      Rosie2010posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol ditto

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

All kidding aside though, personally I prefer a hub with pictures, same as I prefer to read news items or other articles with pictures.

They somehow clarify everything, especially well-chosen photographs.

14. tritrain profile image69
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

With photos.

Photos can bring traffic just on their own.
    Photos break up the words and make it more interesting for the readers.

15. mdlawyer profile image45

People who are searching for facts and information (say, students, professionals, and those who are interested in knowledge or want to gather factual information) would prefer verbal-based informative content, supported by relevant and illustrative images.

Those who are primarily interested in entertainment, rather than facts, would prefer more exciting images, videos, et al.

These are two types of viewers. What one likes, the other may not, because their needs are different.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)