jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Broken Links

1. Jlbowden profile image80
    Jlbowdenposted 5 years ago

Occasionally I get a broken link on one or more of my Hubs from time to time. When I click on the broken link acolade it gives me choices of either ignoring it or fixing it. I usually ignore it. My question is, should I be fixing this broken link on my Hub or ignoring it. I am not sure if it will hurt the Hubs views in any way. But if I should fix the broken links, how do I go about doing that. Thanks for your help.

Jlbowden

2. Cagsil profile image59
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Absolutely you should be fixing them. Google bots read your links and if some links are broken, then those links do not go anywhere. Which means, PageRank by Google will assess your hub at a lower value.

At least that's my understanding of it. smile

3. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

You should never do your visitors the disservice of ignoring broken links. Also, it could hurt your scores and cause a hub to be flagged as substandard. To fix a link, find out whether the destination still exists, and correct the link or remove it. You do this by highlighting the link, then click on the chain link / break chain link icons.

4. mdlawyer profile image60
    mdlawyerposted 5 years ago

You need to disable the broken link.  Else it might render your hub substandard, that means unpublished and possibly gone for ever.

In the edit mode the broken link will be shown in yellow. Select it and click the link disable icon on the edit tool bar. It's gone.

1. Jlbowden profile image80
      Jlbowdenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks MDLawyer, Webexaminer and the rest of the team here.

I will do as you suggested and edit those hubs to correct the problem. This has happened to at least six of my Hubs and a good deal of the time, I had been ignoring it, because I did not know how to go about correcting this problem. It's much simpler to ask a question when in doubt. A good rule of thumb for everyone to remember. Thanks again-greatly appreciate all of your help.

l

5. mdlawyer profile image60
    mdlawyerposted 5 years ago

Welcome, Jlowden. Yes. It is a learning and doing process.

6. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

I've found that most of the time, the links aren't really broken. It may just be that the linked site timed out for a second when HP tested the link.

Just go to My Account > Hubs > Broken Links. All broken links will be listed there. Use the Retest button next to each link. I'll bet most of them wind up being fine.

1. Cagsil profile image59
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hey Irohner,

Check out this thread?

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/73345

working