jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)

Invalid link that has nothing wrong with it

1. Bard of Ely profile image86
    Bard of Elyposted 6 years ago

I am trying to add a link to a links module and it won't let me because it keeps saying it is Invalid. This is nonsense because I have copied the link url from directly from the website I want to add to my hub and there is nothing missing. The link works elsewhere. What's going on?

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
      paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I paste them into text capsules myself. That way, I get to miss all the link capsule adventures. smile

2. Bard of Ely profile image86

It still won't accept the link which is crazy as it is the main link for a .com site but if I try to use "Add link" it says Invalid link".
    If I post this "Invalid link" in my browser it takes me to the home page of the site I wanted to add. How can it be invalid? Google can find it easily enough!

This is a long shot, but who knows?  Is it a redirected domain name? Example: xyz.com auto-redirects to xyz.blogspot.com and the address is masked so that the visitor does not realize that. Those types of domains may be rejected by the link capsule; I don’t know. Text capsules have no problem with it however.

Bard of Elyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It has a "Make a Free website with Yola" notice at the bottom. Could that have anything to do with it? The reason I ask is I have seen webs.com links rejected at Myspace. If these free websites cannot be posted there is little point in having them!

1. ezhang profile image
          ezhangposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hey Bard,

If you want to post the link here, we can take a closer look at the error. Thanks.

3. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

IDK the answer, Bard, but I constantly get notices of broken links in my hubs that aren't broken. It's an HP thing for sure.

1. Daniel Carter profile image91
      Daniel Carterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Me too. Exceedingly annoying!

1. Spacey Gracey profile image72
        Spacey Graceyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

And me - always got a whole page filled with broken link notifications on links that aren't broken. Just ignore them now,but that does mean I probably have one or two broken links that aren't getting the attention they need.

Doing the retest cleaned up that problem for me. smile

http://hubpages.com/my/hubs/broken-links

4. katiem2 profile image60
    katiem2posted 6 years ago

It seems there's a lot of weird science going on with all the adjustments for improvement.  I guess we must be patience...

Best of luck with that Bard.  Thanks for the post, now I don't feel totally daffed.

5. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

@Bard

Check it out; includes link and redirect info, if applicable.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/73548?p … ost1598705

6. Bard of Ely profile image86
    1. Jason Menayan profile image60
      Jason Menayanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It may sound silly, but try:

http://www.madamemazuni.com (no slash at the end)
      www.madamemazuni.com
      etc.

1. Jason Menayan profile image60
        Jason Menayanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Scratch that - I just tried and it didn't work.

Ed might be able to figure it out (he's an engineer).

I just tried anyway and no, it didn't work so I tried something else: adding it as a link to the keywords in the text and a box came up saying it is "external" which is right ) as if I am not supposed to add external links) and so I clicked OK. And it is working now as a link to the words in the hub which shows it worked all along! There is something wrong with the links module option where I would rather have this!

1. ezhang profile image
            ezhangposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I've checked up on the link, and it appears that our servers are having difficulty validating whether the site is valid or not, which is why you are seeing the error.

Sorry for the trouble you had to go through. For future reference, we'll change the link capsule to be less strict about allowing you to add links that are unverifiable.

Thank you for explaining, ezhang! I can't pretend to know what all this about validating whether a site is valid or not means or if they are verifiable or not but at least we know now what the problem was!

7. Michael Willis profile image77
    Michael Willisposted 6 years ago

It could be a glitch of some sort. I had this problem the other day. After numerous tries of pasting a link address and opening and closing the link capsule, I finally just typed in the link and it worked for me.

working