jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)

Someone wants to publish my article on HP in their book...should I let

1. Brie Hoffman profile image81
    Brie Hoffmanposted 5 years ago

them?  Does anyone have any advice about such things?  If they give me credit for the article in the book can you see a down side?

Thanks ahead of time for any ideas.

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I can see a big down side; no pay for each time the article prints and a book is sold, no explanation of how the artticle is to be used. No offical offer to you to buy the piece; etc...etc...etc...

be carefull of this, I know a person who is an amature poet writes very, very well and gave permission. it ended up in a textbook abouty what not to do!  make very sure you know all the facts first.. Many scams out there, please be carefull. Your work is your resume, so be carefull.

2. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

There are about a dozen different parameters that would need to be clarified before that question is answerable. smile

Brie Hoffmanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't even know where to look, can you point me in a direction.

3. sunforged profile image67
    sunforgedposted 5 years ago

and what is the return to you?

People go around and make money off of writers that are "delighted" to have their stuff in print all the time...

If you dont want  money, percentages etc .. Tell them you want your name on the cover and 100 copies of the book (minimum)

1. camlo profile image83
      camloposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes. Why should anyone give their work away so that somebody else can make money off it?

4. Nell Rose profile image91
    Nell Roseposted 5 years ago

Hi, I think that if they want it in a book then you should get a share of the royalties, or a one off payment. If it is a magazine then it is different because it will only be read for a short time, with a book they will make money of you for years!

5. Brie Hoffman profile image81
    Brie Hoffmanposted 5 years ago

Ok, it is just one article so how would you go about valuing one article in a book?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'd charge at least $1 a word personally.

2. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 5 years ago in reply to this

ask them what book, what title, what is it about, how much will it sell for, then inquire as to what a writer typically charges for a part in a book.

example if the book selld for 19>95 and costs 6:00 to produce and be sold to a book store, then set an appropiate % of that whole sale price for each time the article is used...by contract.

like a 1.00 a book or .50 a book. if the book sells say 10,000 copies, you can see how it adds up. negotiate for it. If they say no they can not pay, then you have your answer...say no

Brie Hoffmanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ok, I wrote back and asked if his publisher has contracts for something like this.  It's a book about education called:  Turning Our Schools Upside Down.

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

They should be offering a specific rate and terms.  If the book is 'for profit' at the very least you should get a cut of the royalties.

7. Trish_M profile image88
    Trish_Mposted 5 years ago

I think that I would want confirmation that the item was going to be shown in a good light smile

8. Marye Audet profile image90
    Marye Audetposted 5 years ago

If it is a book that I am proud to have my name in I do allow it but only with the following attribution:

My name, my website address, and the address of the article they are using.

I then ask for a copy of the book.

This allows me to add "as featured in....xyz" to  my bio and helps with my credibility.

9. NateSean profile image83
    NateSeanposted 5 years ago

Bottom line. Get a phone number. Talk to this person directly. See if they'll send you a request in a snail mail letter form so that you can bring it to a lawyer if needs be.

Charge this person so that you get compensated.

It's your hard work and you should certainly be glad that someone thinks it's worth publishing. But to echo an earlier post, you should be the one getting some kind of reward for it, not the person trying to cop your article.