jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

Wall Street Journal Covers Panda

1. Mutiny92 profile image87
    Mutiny92posted 5 years ago

Let's see if this works...

Wall Street Journal

An interesting article on how Panda is impacting small business.

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That explains why HP is doing what they're doing. Google is being mum. I think it's terrible that a company can have a monopoly like this and affect small businesses. I've set my search page to Bing.
      Same with Verizon, Walmart, etc. These huge corporations, including the large multinational food corporations (Monsanto,etc) run the world. And if we keep talking, then it gets political..

1. Mutiny92 profile image87
        Mutiny92posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I concur!  I loved Paul's question on why Youtube went up post-Panda and HP dropped.  Microsoft's Ciao was hurt as well. 

I hope enough folks dislike the new search results that they move their service elsewhere - that might be enough to break Google's dominate position in the search market.

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Excellent link.

For me, this says it all...

"… reduced its 17-person staff to five…".

In other words; real people are losing their jobs at reputable companies with a proven history of providing products and services that people want.

2. American_Choices profile image85
    American_Choicesposted 5 years ago

Fascinating - no transparency for Google.  I understand their concern for bad actors but guidance of what they do want would be helpful to the small business owners.

3. Mutiny92 profile image87
    Mutiny92posted 5 years ago via iphone

It's never a good story when small businesses are hurt.

Go Bing!!

4. Aficionada profile image92
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

Thanks for the link.  Go, Bing, indeed!!!!!

5. mdlawyer profile image61
    mdlawyerposted 5 years ago

It is a very realistic study by WSJ.

6. BobbiRant profile image78
    BobbiRantposted 5 years ago

If people had paid attention to the fact that Google has been attacking the 'free and open' Internet for quite a while they'd know this was a long time coming.  Their Verizon deal or (the pact with the devil) fell through.  Google is out to promote its own products and business and is out to 'control' everything we do on the Internet.  Algorithm to protect its viewers?  Please!!!!!!!!!  Google does Nothing unless money for them is involved.  Knocking out small businesses and getting money from the big guys who can pay Google has been the name of the game Always.

Bing and Yahoo aligned to bring Google down. Microsoft does not like Google because Google whined to the FCC that Microsoft was a 'monopoly' which is Exactly what Google is trying to be now, a monopoly. Microsoft a month ago, and Google had a big war of words going on Twitter.

7. BobbiRant profile image78
    BobbiRantposted 5 years ago

One more thing.  There WAS a petition going around the Internet to Stop Google from destroying its competition,which it pretty much has accomplished, except of course the Big guys paying Google.  But no one paid attention. Now Verizon is attempting to control Everything on cell phone services.  I'm sure it will, Americans and the world do not pay attention.  But here it is!

8. TomC35 profile image61
    TomC35posted 5 years ago

Oh please, most of you are complaining because the changes hurt Hubpages, and though no one wants small businesses intentionally hurt, they would not be hurt if they really are the best pages.

Everyone here wants to see things from the production side, but not from the consumer side.  If you can honestly tell me when you are trying to Google some important information and that a Hubpage would answer your serious question 99% of the time you are lying.  I would not even think my own Hubs provide the best information for my subjects.  I try to make them informative and well written, but I am sure I am not the top authority.  For serious browsers looking to get straight to the point, they like the updates.

1. Spacey Gracey profile image75
      Spacey Graceyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I disagree about your assessment of how good it is for searchers now. I do a lot of online research as part of my work for another site and pre-Panda I could find what I wanted within the first page of Google results, but post-Panda it can take several pages, sometimes I need to put in alternate search terms and use other engines. My user experience is that it sucks, but it is getting better so I think it is 'learning' and the results we see in six months time will be very different to what we saw immediately post-Panda.