jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Hub Hopping and Moderator Feedback

1. Mark Ewbie profile image83
    Mark Ewbieposted 5 years ago

I have no idea what happens to hubs I flag.  Whether they are passed as OK or rejected.  It would be useful to know so I can tell whether I am flagging accurately, reasonably, correctly.

Whether I should be flagging more.. or less.

This might save the moderators time and / or it might help to improve the quality of HP.

1. skear profile image92
      skearposted 5 years ago in reply to this

According to this hub (http://hubpages.com/hub/HubPages-Accolades-Overview) if a moderator agrees with your decision to flag a hub you earn the thumbs up/down accolade. 

I agree its somewhat of a black hole though, I would love to have a graph  or some sort of feedback.

By the way your hubs/posts are very entertaining!

2. shogan profile image87
      shoganposted 5 years ago in reply to this

But where would the mystery be in that, Mark?

I suppose you could try flagging your own hubs to see if you get the thumbs up.  That might be educational.

2. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 5 years ago

You could bookmark the Hubs you've flagged, then check later to see if they've been taken down.

3. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

(I agree that Mark's posts are entertaining  smile  ).

I can see the value in some people's getting some kind of reading on their flagging, but it's not something I see a need for myself.  The stuff I flag is so obviously bad, I pretty much assume it's not getting off the hook.  I figure, if it does, it's not my business or problem; but I'm confident enough that I'm correct enough in flagging it.  Right or wrong, I generally don't flag borderline stuff.  I probably shouldn't admit this, but I'm more likely to leave the borderline stuff to other people to flag or not flag.  hmm  In my own defense, though, my thinking is that if something is borderline enough for me to even wonder about it, it's probably not related to an acceptable quality of grammar or else an overall, basic, quality of the Hub.  Those two things are things I'm confident in judging (I recognize decent-enough grammar, and I've been on here long enough to have a good idea about what "basic quality" is supposed to include.)

So, if something is borderline to me it's because it's something I'm not all that confident with, which to me means I should let someone who knows better decide to flag or not flag that particular Hub. I guess my thinking is that if it looks mostly OK to me it probably would look mostly OK to anyone else of reasonable standards who reads it. There are some technical aspects (where links go, etc.) that I don't get involved with unless the Hub is pretty much nothing-but-links to somewhere else.  I guess I sort of figure that I "specialize" in grammar and content, and that other Hubbers "specialize" in things like links on some of the borderline stuff.  (Some Hubs hit any potential flaggers of any "speciality" in the face, of course.)

Either way (and obnoxious as this may seem), I figure if, I've flagged something and it gets left un-addressed and published, I'm not the one who needs the "reading" on judgment-performance.   hmm

4. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 5 years ago

So, with all the backlog and volume that the moderators are already handling, you'd like them to get even more bogged down in their moderation duties?