jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)

Should I buy a domain and host it in Blogspot

1. silentsapphire profile image60
    silentsapphireposted 5 years ago

I am a bit short on funds and cannot pay for hosting a website, so can I buy a domain and host it in Blogspot? Can I rank well for my website?

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That is what I'm currently doing via a 301 redirect. As to ranking, so far not so good. smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It will rank as well as any other website, so it's a good solution if you're short on funds.

As WryLilt says, by using your own domain name from the start, you can easily switch to proper hosting later without losing any traffic.

If you look on the Blogger menus, you'll find a place where you can add your domain name.

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
        paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I was unaware that we had the option to do that. Much better than redirecting! Thank you! smile smile smile

3. tritrain profile image74
      tritrainposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Is $25 too expensive?  There's good webhosts out there that charge that much for a year, give or take a couple bucks.

silentsapphireposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Can you name a few of those hosting companies as $25-30 a year seems reasonable to me.

1. WryLilt profile image86
          WryLiltposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you're paying that much, there's a good chance that they aren't quality hosts. For $10 a month I get all these things that you likely wouldn't with such a cheap host:

-Live almost instant support.
          -Unlimited domain hosting.
          -No problems if I have a high traffic site (many cheap hosts limit traffic or may have issues with your site if you get lots of traffic.)

Can you tell the company which hosts your websites and if its available outside Australia.

I use Hostgator, it's American.

But is it available worldwide and what is the total annual cost of running one website.

If I have one website, I pay $120 a year. If I have 30 websites, I pay $120 a year. What country are you in? I don't think there'd be an issue.

I am from India $120 a year would mean about 5000 INR. I think I have to invest that much money to see any online success.

2. WryLilt profile image86
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

Blogger actually uses the wordpress layout for their site - and they're pretty good for what they offer. If you just want a basic site then go for it.

However if you ever decide to change you can go with a hosted wordpress site where you have plugins, thousands of themes and tons of different ways to maximise revenue and layout. I pay $10 a month to host unlimited sites.

Good luck!

3. theherbivorehippi profile image84
    theherbivorehippiposted 5 years ago

I agree with WryLit above me..you definitely get what you pay for in hosting.  I use Wordpress hosted with Bluehost and I love that I can add on as many subdomains as I want and I love their customer service.  And, I absolutely LOVE WordPress!

As for Blogger...as Marisa mentioned...I also have a few old blogs that I still have there (will eventually transfer my whole life to WordPress) I paid the extra $10 for the personal domain name and they really see good traffic even though I neglect them these days. sad

4. Dorsi profile image89
    Dorsiposted 5 years ago

I'm using GoDaddy Website Tonight Service and hosting and I think it's like $5.95 a month or so. I like your $10 deal though with unlimited sites!!

working