jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

problem with adsense ads on my hub

1. Janet21 profile image80
    Janet21posted 8 years ago

I recently published a hub on co-sleeping and the family bed.  Initially, the google ads served on the hub were good and very relevant.(co-sleepers, helping your child fall asleep at night, etc.)  However, now the ads displayed on this hub are for child abuse, sexual abuse, etc.

I usually don't make a fuss about google ads, but these are really bothering me.  I am writing about how wonderful I find co-sleeping to be,  but now I have these ads about child abuse all around it making it sound 'dirty'.   Definitely not the message I want to translate.  I deleted some of my key tags incase those were pulling these ads, but that didn't work.  I do have one comment in the guestbook that mentions 'molestation'.  These abuse ads came on the hub after that comment was posted.  Could that be the problem?  If it is, I would hate to delete a comment someone took the timie to write. 

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks~

2. 0
    shinujohn2008posted 8 years ago

We don't have any control on display of adsense ads unless it is in our Own sites,where we can block them using Competitive ad filters. Here the thing you can do at present is to try to remove the comment. But, many advertisers may have selected the keyword "Child" , "co- sleeping" .etc, to display their ads. So it is almost impossible for us to control the Ads having this type of Titles. Only thing you can do is to wait for 1 more day after you delete the comment.

3. Janet21 profile image80

Thanks, I'll do that.  I think I will contact the hubber that left the comment to let her know why I am removing it.  Not that I need to do that, but I would feel better if I did.

4. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

Question/suggestion to the hub team:

Can you add a checkbox to include/exclude hub comments from mediabot crawling using <!-- google_ad_section_start --> and <!-- google_ad_section_end -->? It does not look like a whole lot of work, and should take care of such cases nicely.

1. spuds profile image22
      spudsposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Excellent suggestion.

5. Janet21 profile image80

Misha, that is a good suggestion since I want to encourage free speech in my guestbook and let people speak their minds, but if the text happens to affect the ads served to the hub, I can chose to not have those remarks crawled.

That being said, I also had a news rss feed on the hub.  I had forgot it was there since there weren't any current stories to display at the time so it did not show.  Anyway, it is possible there was some text in those stories at one point that contributed to the abuse ads being displayed.

The ads today look slightly better.  Maybe because there weren't any news stories in the feed.  I have removed this capsule from the hub today, so hopefully that will fix the ads going forward.  I knew there was a reason why I never like using these types of feeds!  Lesson learned...