jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Has anyone here set up a LLC?

1. Dorsi profile image90
    Dorsiposted 5 years ago

I registered my non-profit name, Dollars of Hope, with the Secretary of State here in Cali.I have the domain name and a website up and running with donate buttons.

I am going to set up it up as an LLC. Has anyone here done this themself? I read a good hub by GlassVisage about using an online service but I wonder if I can save even more money doing it myself.
    (I'm pretty good at paperwork)

Any advice? Thanks!

2. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

Here, our Secretary of State's website has all the information we need.  Have you checked it out there?

The idea of a non-profit as an LLC is new to me, and I'm trying to get my head around it.

1. Dorsi profile image90
      Dorsiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My understanding is that this would be a good way to set it up. I've done some reading up on it and think this is the best way to go.
      It allows more flexibility without putting my personal credit on the line. I made that mistake with a former business that was a sole proprietorship. I won't make that same mistake again!

This of course will be different as it's not for profit but I still need to protect myself.

And I have looked it up under the secretary of state. I was just wondering if anyone here ever tackled the paperwork all on their own. I'm funding this myself to get it started so I'm trying to save as much money as I can. This is getting expensive.

3. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

I did a quick search and saw that some states (not all) do have the option for a non-profit to be an LLC, as is apparently true where you are.  In fact, one comment I saw indicated that there can be some advantages to that arrangement.  I hope you get the advice you need! smile