jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (14 posts)

Just As Websites Are Being Oligarchized, Ebooks are being Democratized

1. bgamall profile image85
    bgamallposted 6 years ago

It is funny, but really not. As traditional publishing is being smashed by Smashwords and others, and ebooks are being written by anyone who has something to say, Google is moving in the opposite direction with regard to websites.

Google is a Nazi. Ok I said it.

1. Will Apse profile image90
      Will Apseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Google works for the CIA. I read it in an ebook. I wouldn't trust Santa either.

1. recommend1 profile image73
        recommend1posted 6 years ago in reply to this

You can trust santa, but Google is in bed with the big boys of media and banking Mr Apse.

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

Um, I don't see the parallel.  Everyone can still access any website they like.  Google doesn't affect that.  They just get to run their website, that they own, any way they like. They don;t have to run is how we like, or even well, it belongs to them.

bgamallposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Put your thinking cap on Psych. Google is putting content at the top that may not have better content, but has more connections. They have a public responsibility because they are a virtual monopoly. If you don't understand that you just don't know what is going on. Sorry.

In other words, Google is like a utility. It is virtually the only search in town and should be treated as a utility.

Don't worry, Baidu is gearing up to enter the market.  Owned by the richest guy in China, Baidu recently dealt with duplicate content in one go, excommunicating a vast number of sites over one week - some say in response to criticism from the west but I suspect it is gearing up to take the high ground and aiming to expand into the western parts of the net.  Realistic competition is just what Google needs.

I have an urban dictionary word, Pandaganda. It is propaganda put forth by allowing the Panda algorythm to put crap sites at the top of search.

But yes, if Baidu came in it could change a lot of things.

2. bgamall profile image85

I have an urban dictionary word, Pandaganda. It is propaganda put forth by allowing the Panda algorythm to put crap sites at the top of search.

But yes, if Baidu came in it could change a lot of things.

Pandaganda big_smile     

what about the response to it - Pandamoanium big_smile

Or Pandaing to big business,

or what it has done to Hubpages, Pandabotomy

smile

2. psycheskinner profile image80
        psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Google is a website, and it has competition that operate at no unfair disadvantage.  If it stops giving the best results people will stop using it. If you don't like Google, you also can stop using it.

No, in search it is a utility, a monopoly. That may change in the future but it is the way it is now.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

Looks like the spinners are working overtime on ebooks. I see a lot of job offers for people to rewrite ebooks.

Yeah, that won't go far on Smashwords. But it is something to be aware of. Mine are my content, 4 of them totalling about 41,000 words. Sandy Mertens did them for me and she is good, as I got into the Smashwords premium catalog and the ebooks are on Sony, Diesel, Barnes and Noble, and Apple. If you have content you have anywhere on the internet, and hubpages is a good place to create that content, you can put it in an ebook.

working