Philosophical Crossroad: Team Write Vs. Team SEO

Jump to Last Post 51-60 of 60 discussions (191 posts)
  1. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 12 years ago

Red Anchor, you are so right! Panda has worked a treat, gone is the spam and the scraped content and every result pulls me towards relevant well written content that answers my questions and fulfils my commercial intent.

Let’s ignore the fact that Search Engines look at more than just the page to evaluate quality, let‘s forget trust, backlinks, site architecture, keyword research etc. and while we are at it let’s forget that people who do this despicable type of stuff are following the rules set out by Google, let’s forget about getting our content read and, lord above, generating some sort of income.

Let’s forget marketing our content entirely, there are plenty of others out there who will gladly take all our rankings and our incomes - so why go to all that bother. Let’s not forget however, that It’s so much easier sitting on our hands and doing nothing while the world passes us by.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm cannot get my head round SEO no matter how I try and get hardly any views on my hubs. Thus I have no argument to pick with you concerning the rights or wrongs or SEO. However, I totally disagree with your statements concerning the quality of search results.

I search the Web frequently and extensively seeking information on scientific and cultural matters. Since Panda, I have found search results to be absolutely dire! I have always dug deep into search results to find the best information available. Now I am having to dig even deeper.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not "Mr. Traffic" by a long shot, but I have to wonder how much backlinking you do, and where.

The "dofollow" links still outdo other backlinks.  reditt.com, shetoldme, stumbleupon, . . .those are some easy dofollows.

1. thisisoli profile image71
          thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

easy do-follows are not necessarily good do-follows.

Then please explain to me how a "dofollow" is not good?

you have to look at page trust and domain trust wesman.  Things have advanced a lot since the inception of page rank, and now a huge amount of factors are counting towards the trust Google places on a site and the links it gives.

She Told Me is a low trust site, getting a do follow link is easy though.  it is not necessarily 'bad' but it won't give you much benefit.  A dofollow link from the BBC on the otherhand carries a lot of weight.

Very good.  If you don't mind me asking, then do you mind sharing some sites where any of us actually can create good dofollow links?

2. Peter Hoggan profile image68
        Peter Hogganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was being sarcasitic, Google search results are the worst they have ever been.

I barely know the first thing about you - but I thought your sarcasm was obvious.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

Hey, I just did a quick look at what HP has as your best hub today.  I know that changes often.

Now, I think that is a great hub, and I know the title is good, and accurate - BUT.  I think it would get more traffic with a simpler title, like, "Hiking Vacations in Wales."

You can always change your title, and if that doesn't help, then change it back.  You've got to experiment.

If you know all of this that I'm saying - ignore it.  I'm just sharing the little bits of stuff that I do know that work for me.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
          WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your suggestion. I'm not sure that it describes my hub accurately though. The hub is merely a description of some possible routes to walk to the summit of Pen Y Fan. I say nothing about what else to do in the region, and give no recommendations on places to stay, places to eat, transport, etc. Therefore, I fear that using the word "vacations" in the title would lead some people to think the hub offers more extensive information than it actually does.

To include all the information that I think would justify having vacations in the title would probably at the very least double the length of the hub.

I would be interested in your or anyone else's take on that.

I just think that the specific hike that you are describing is . . .maybe too specific, and that it's a great idea of something to do on a vacation, but that a searcher looking for something like that isn't going to be familiar with the name of the area (other than that we're talking about Wales) - and so they might not realize that they are even searching for that specific place.

I often find things in search terms after enough Google searches have found my content that lead me to better title something that I've had published for a long time.

2. Peter Hoggan profile image68
            Peter Hogganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wesman's suggestion would harm possible rankings for terms like 'Walking The Breacon Beacons' or 'Walking Pen Y Fan'.

Sorry Wesman, please don’t take offence; I do know you are trying to help and your intentions were good.

Edit: The word vacation is not mentioned anywhere in the hub nor is the hub about vacationing in Wales. Including it in the title would lose relevance for the terms the hub is actually about.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I'm enjoying this thread - good arguments and a lot to be learnt for an apprentice content farmer like me.

The quality discussion will never be resolved - but that goes way beyond the internet.  Wonderfully written books are remaindered while the latest celebrity ghost written pile of pap (spam?) sells by the million.

I am going in circles trying to understand what I should be doing on here.  Learning to write for ego and fun - but how to fit that into actually making some money?

Not that you need to know, but I harbour thoughts of giving up the day job one day.  I know... silly isn't it?

edit: apologies for not having anything sensible or inflammatory to offer on SEO.

Mark, just make an uninformed opinion wink

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

Good point!  The rest of the marketing world has the same, the exact same problem.  Some male or female whore in tights is analogous to copied/scraped/manipulative/spam; and the real musicians that make honest music of high quality for the love of it are barely getting cheesburgers in a motel room.

3. Peter Hoggan profile image68

By the way Mark I love your blog.

http://markewbie.blogspot.com/

I encourage others to have a read.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh thanks a lot Peter... lots to do!

4. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

I agree on current Google search results being incredibly bad.

5. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

XD  Yeah Right!

6. Peter Hoggan profile image68

WTF, this totally beggars belief, on this thread Will slags off SEO yet on another he hands out SEO advice.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/74931#post1628242

Add duplicity and hypocrisy to the list I posted earlier.

7. Sesshoumaru2st profile image60
    Sesshoumaru2stposted 12 years ago

OK bro I feel your pain,But here is reality.People want to make money.If they could write poorly and generate more money by implementing SEO tactics(which is encouraged by google),then they will adamantly follow that perceptive.Lets face it,only a moderate few view this site as a place to write and share their Ideas.Others think this is just another place for back-links.Makes no sense to link here for the purpose of back-links,if the links are tagged no-follow away.When that's all said and done,you need to implement some SEO aspects to your writing.Writing alone is not enough.I which writing up some good contextual material would be all I needed,but that's not how things work.Some SEO team hubs profile have a lot of scores because they have a lot of traffic heading towards those hubs.

8. Peter Hoggan profile image68

http://www.inlineseo.com/dofollowdiver/

You could start there. Find blogs that are related to your keywords and join the conversation. Dont spam.

That is a damn good idea.  I've been more focused on creating and backlinking than I have been in finding decent discussions, forums, and blogs.  I've been lucky enough that sometimes my hubs find their way to those things without me, but there's always more that can be done.

9. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 11 years ago

Goodbye OP, thanks for never coming back to respond.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/101825#post2181454

10. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Gotta thank this thread for giving me the seed that turned into my "Good SEO is Poetry, not Trickery" lesson. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)