jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Anybody Write For Wise Geek?

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image89
    DIYweddingplannerposted 6 years ago

Just wondering, because I actually just got a rejection letter from them! sad

2. sunforged profile image72
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

Congratulations!,No loss at all, WiseGeek was initially posted as being the site hit hardest by the Panda update, you would be better off writing your content on a napkin and feeding it to a goat. smile

There are plenty more sites that will appreciate your contributions.

DIYweddingplannerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well, THAT certainly puts it into perspective!  Thanks, Sunforged!  Although for what I'm making, I might as well write my content on a napkin and feed it to a goat. smile

1. rmr profile image88
        rmrposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sunforged is right. I wrote for them briefly. Their guidelines were pretty strict for the small amount of money they pay. Most of the available titles were pretty dry, too.

I found the same thing in DemandMedia , too.  Even though I got accepted, the topics were so horribly dull and technical, there's no way I would or could write about them.

3. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

It's been a long time since I went round the paying writers sites to see what was on offer.

Thank you for the update.

I live in Spain which actually knocked me out of a lot of places. I assume because they thought English was my second language. It's not.

I'm a British expat.

Thanks to the HP forums I have learned a lot about who to write for and who not to.

Some companies seem to be demanding silly standards of writing, which, let's face it, if we all had journalism degrees we would turn down because their pay structure is insulting.

But for a writer starting out is pretty attractive. Especially if you come from a non-English speaking country.

I want to thank HP for starting me out on this road. I always wanted to write a novel, but you know how it is, life gets in the way, and when you have the time to sit down and think about it, it's "what can I write"? Because you have to have a storyline in your head to start of with.

I think maybe it is too late for me, because my imagination has died.

But I really didn't realise until recently that the ability to string a cohesive sentence together was so difficult for so many!

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

And DIYweddingplanner, your English is perfect! You go girl!

Thanks, Izzy.  I'm going to shop around plus Tess45 and I have some ideas we've been kicking around for awhile for starting a blogsite with on-line store attached.  But I joined HP at the worst time possible.  I joined HP and then Panda hit, how's that for luck?  So I'm just looking around right now for options and glad I've got a day job! 

But Izzy, don't give up on your dreams.  I believe everyone has a great story in them and you're a wonderful writer.  You could write that novel yet!

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Awww, and you are a sweetheart smile
        Thanks hun, maybe one day but don't hold your breath!

Hey, remember Grandma Moses didn't start painting till she was in her 80's!

working