jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Suggest Picture Size - Help the Hubber

1. GmaGoldie profile image86
    GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago

I have been trying to upgrade my Hubs and follow the new rules.  One of the areas I am struggling with is the photo capsule. 

Some of my photos are poor quality. 

It would be helpful to have an option to suggest the photo size given the quality of the photo.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I would say the bigger the better. I find that pictures I find from sxc.hu are perfect, no pixilization.

2. GmaGoldie profile image86
    GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago

I struggle too with the picture size - perhaps it is my monitor or my old eyes.  Hard for me to tell when I have the photo too large with too much pixilization.  Is there a way to right click or something and see the quality of the photo?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Right click the photo and choose "view image information".  A full size photo should be around 50 KB minimum while a smaller one pushed to the right might be 10 KB.

The numbers can only be a guideline, however.  A smaller size might work well, as these are just some numbers I grabbed from my hubs.

3. darkside profile image84
    darksideposted 5 years ago

They must be at least 260 pixels wide.

520 pixels wide if you want it to fill the width of the content area of the hub.

4. DIYweddingplanner profile image91
    DIYweddingplannerposted 5 years ago

I struggle with this, too...not the pixelation part, but deciding if I have too may pictures or if they are too big.  I. for one, love to look at pictures, particularly on "how-to" articles and the bigger, the better as far as pictures go, but don't want to make picture only hubs.  Although they do say "a picture is worth a thousand words", smile  I know I need to write content.  How much is too much?  How big is too big?

5. darkside profile image84
    darksideposted 5 years ago

The HP system will resize an image down. So it doesn't matter how big in dimension or file size (though there is a limit to the file size, which I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's quite high) it will reduce it properly.

Small images being stretched out to be bigger is the problem. That's when it will become pixelated.