jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Hostgator Webhosting Questions

1. sid_candid profile image62
    sid_candidposted 5 years ago

When I go to register a domain at hostgator web hosting it gives two options -Register a New Domain or I Currently Have a Domain Name. Which one should I use if I have already purchased my domain name but registering it for the first time.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

I Currently Have a Domain Name

3. Lissie profile image87
    Lissieposted 5 years ago

Just to clarify the terminology - cause it confused the hell out of me when I first did it

you "purchased" a domain name the domain is therefore registered to you for the year at the domain registrar you used (often godaddy or namecheap) (In fact you only rent a domain - if you stop paying your annual fees the domain will be dropped and be available for someone else to buy)

you then purchased hosting at hostgator

Now you want to point the nameservers of your domain's registrar to the Hostgagor's nameservers (they will tell you what they are in your sign up process).

4. Ign Andy profile image61
    Ign Andyposted 5 years ago

If you already bought a domain name, then choose "I Currently Have a Domain Name".
    If you don't have any domain, I highly recommend to register to ICANN accredited domain registrars (name.com/namecheap.com/godaddy.com). Hostgator is a good web hosting providers but it's not accredited domain registrar.
    FYI, I have a few hubs about web hosting and domain names.