jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Own website - pen name & copyright?

1. profile image0
    Baileybearposted 6 years ago

I am setting up an educational website with my personal experiences. I would like to use a pen name to give me and my family some privacy.  Do I need to disclose to visitors that real names are not used?
    What about copyright protection?  One is automatically covered by copyright these days, but do I need to say that my content is copyrighted?  What about under pen name?  How do I prove that content was mine originally?  Is there huge expense/hassle tackling infringements?

1. Marye Audet profile image88
      Marye Audetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You do not need to disclose a pen name. I copyright both to my name and to my network....  ie: (c)MaryeAudet 2011 (c) RestlessChipotleMedia 2011  You can report infringements to google just like now with a DMCA form but somethings you just can't afford to do. For example, a couple of years ago a major national food oriented magazine took one of my posts. I was working for a Corp at the time and even they could not afford to go after the magazine. It just kind of depends on who steals your stuff. As far as proving your content is original Google goes by the first published date.

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 6 years ago in reply to this

so really it's about just getting stolen stuff taken down off the net?

Pretty much, yeah. Suing is uber $$$$ most people cant afford to do it and most of the scrapers know that.

1. profile image0
            Baileybearposted 6 years ago in reply to this

and even if you had contacted the magazine, they wouldn't have at least paid you for using the article?

We did contact the magazine..the lawyers contacted them several times.

2. Moon Willow Lake profile image77
    Moon Willow Lakeposted 6 years ago

I want to thank-you for all the information that has been presented here. What I can add is that there is free software available for anyone to download called 'Dupe Free Pro'. It can help you catch when your content has been stolen. It has a lot of really good settings. I, too, am concerned about stolen content; but, I cannot let that stop me from venturing out in to the online world. Best of luck to all of us!

working