jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

More Flags than a flag Shop

1. 75
    Geoff Hibbertposted 8 years ago

I am a late recruit to hubpages and it would appear that i have fallen foul unwittingly of the promotional rules. I have posted several hubs over the last couple of days whichhave been flagged as over promotional.

I am particularly confused by one which is entitled Cure For Gout which has one affiliate link in the whole page which is for an ebook on the subject of gout and is still flagged as over promotional. The article mentions a medicine called alopurinol quite extensively but the aff link is not for this but a book related to gout. Anyone got any ideas what I have done wrong here and more importantly what i can do to put this right. The last thing I wanted to do was to march in and start violationg the system

Geoff hibbert

2. darkside profile image85
    darksideposted 8 years ago

Is it a warning or an actual flag?

3. 75
    Geoff Hibbertposted 8 years ago

I got an email overnight saying it was an actual flag. Yesterday I had a whole bunch of the but managed to correct most. There is now just this one and one more flagged. Ah, it just hit me if its flagged I guess you can not see it to tell me where I have gone wrong?

1. darkside profile image85
      darksideposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I can actually see it! smile

That's why I was wondering if it was just a warning.

4. spuds profile image22
    spudsposted 8 years ago

Does seem a bit odd that this would be flagged. Perhaps it is the repeated use of the word.

5. Mark Bennett profile image60
    Mark Bennettposted 8 years ago

If you want to link out, you have to have original content. If you copied a lot of the text in your Hub from elsewhere, it will be duplicate content, in which case you can't have any outbound links.

1. pauldeeds profile image
      pauldeedsposted 8 years ago in reply to this

You've hit the nail on the head.

6. quotations profile image94
    quotationsposted 8 years ago

I noticed that your hubscore is 64, which isn't bad. As long as it is over 50, I believe, hubpages will not insert a "no follow" tag in your outgoing links so you will be able to pass PR to the site you want. However, if it is an affiliate link you are using Google penalizes them anayway so in a sense it won't matter.

The hubscore and I believe the overly promotional warning are for internal Hubpages use anyway. They have no effect on how your hub about gout is ranked in the search engines. Even if hubpages liked the hub and gave it a high score, google may penalize it based on its own algorithm.

7. Ryan Hupfer profile image80
    Ryan Hupferposted 8 years ago

Hey Geoff,

A couple things for you:

1. First off, you need to make sure that you post original content in your Hub. If it's not all original you will not be allowed to link out to other sites from the Hub. Google isn't a big fan of duplicate content, and we would like to keep them happy. smile

2. It would be awesome if you would add a profile picture, those silhouettes really freak me out.

3. It looks like some of your other Hubs are doing great. I saw that your Remortgage with a CCJ is already indexed and on page 4 when I Google the title of your Hub. Not bad for only 2 days in - great job!

Here's a screenshot of the proof:

8. Ryan Hupfer profile image80
    Ryan Hupferposted 8 years ago

p.s. that's with over 300,000 results!